Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gobygaga)
    No you don't understand what I am trying to say. You risk disqualification if you break the aqa rules which can be found on there website. This clearly states that you are not to publish any papers until at least 2 weeks after the exam. I know this because I was ill during the biology exam and had to do it on the Thursday instead. During these days I was in isolation and was not allowed access to my phone even when at home. I was also not allowed to be in contact with anyone who had done the test. I had to literally have someone walk me from my mums car into the school.
    I thought isolation happened if you had two exams that clashed and you had to take one in the morning and the other in the afternoon. I didn't know that sorry.

But one of my earlier points stands, people already mention questions in the paper when they share the answers, and technically you can reconstruct the entire paper from that. So by that logic all online exam discussion should be banned until 2 weeks after the exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neil20143)
    I try!

I think I'll be bang on boundary for an A* in C2 and a little below for C3 Thank god for my CA! Hopefully my C1 will help me a bit but I'm really unsure what I'll get! C3 really had me in panic!
    C2 was quite easy except for that weird six marker. C3 was very difficult: so many weird questions, the six marker and that strange five marker. I think I got an A* for C2 and A for C3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palette)
    I thought isolation happened if you had two exams that clashed and you had to take one in the morning and the other in the afternoon. I didn't know that sorry.

But one of my earlier points stands, people already mention questions in the paper when they share the answers, and technically you can reconstruct the entire paper from that. So by that logic all online exam discussion should be banned until 2 weeks after the exam.
    it should be but its not

ReputationRep:
    Actually it's not. Teachers are not even allowed access to it until 2 weeks after the exam. This is because in certain situations people may need to sit the exam slightly later
    That Chemistry teacher said

"I teach chemistry. I am allowed to see the paper."

In a June 2012 Unit 1 thread just 6 days after the exam.

ReputationRep:
    it should be but its not
    ...which defeats the point of the rule, and therefore my final point stands.

What's the point of banning publication of papers when students who can remember the questions can mention them in the discussion thread and some person just assembles them together in one post?

Therefore my decision is that if a rule is made useless loopholes and therefore ineffective in its purpose, it should be ignored. Or the loopholes should be closed.

ReputationRep:
    That Chemistry teacher said

"I teach chemistry. I am allowed to see the paper."

In a June 2012 Unit 1 thread just 6 days after the exam.
    On the aqa website it says
    "Teachers can get past papers earlier, starting 10 days after the exam, from Secure Key Materials."

ReputationRep:
    "Teachers can get past papers earlier, starting 10 days after the exam, from Secure Key Materials."
    Thing is he got it less than 10 days after the exam.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is he got it less than 10 days after the exam.
    Just saying that he should not of been able to as the exam board clearly says that he is not allowed access yet

ReputationRep:
    Just saying that he should not of been able to as the exam board clearly says that he is not allowed access yet
    I'm not going to play tu quoque so instead I'll blame AQA for allowing teachers to play a role in distributing exam papers of the subjects they teach (during the exam).

I hope I've shown how AQA's policy is pointless due to the loopholes. I'd tell AQA to either:

Shut loopholes and request sites to ban discussion of exams in online forums until a certain duration of time.

Or, scrap their policy.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to play tu quoque so instead I'll blame AQA for allowing teachers to play a role in distributing exam papers of the subjects they teach (during the exam).

I hope I've shown how AQA's policy is pointless due to the loopholes. I'd tell AQA to either:

Shut loopholes and request sites to ban discussion of exams in online forums until a certain duration of time.

Or, scrap their policy.
    I totally agree. However at our school we don't have teachers that give out papers we have invigilators

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree. However at our school we don't have teachers that give out papers we have invigilators
    Same for my school.

I actually enjoyed this discussion/argument. Hopefully the Chemistry teacher will take note.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post55816911 --OFFICIAL P2 & P3 THREAD EXAM ON WEDNESDAY!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11Jason11)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post55816911 --OFFICIAL P2 & P3 THREAD EXAM ON WEDNESDAY!!
    That's more than enough advertising.

ReputationRep:

Our teachers got a copy of the exam as soon as it was finished and the Ejudicator didn't say anything about it?

ReputationRep:
    This statement is for teachers who want to access the paper (and I think the mark scheme) on the website.

It does not mean they are forbidden to take a hard copy of the question paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Removed in case somebody takes what I typed too seriously)

Anyway, how well do you think you did in C2 and C3?

and did you put 20 or 14 to the temperature change question?
    14? Because isn't it the difference between the final temperature and the initial temperature?

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I was a bit confused about the grade boundaries... If you need 360 UMS for an A* but an A* on the paper is around 45 how do you get the correct UMS to get an A*? Or do they shift the UMS up and down according to the difficulty that year?

Also , do you need 85% overall to get an A*?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Same for my school.

I actually enjoyed this discussion/argument. Hopefully the Chemistry teacher will take note.
    Lol I hope so too. 😀

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neil20143)
    I try!

I think I'll be bang on boundary for an A* in C2 and a little below for C3 Thank god for my CA! Hopefully my C1 will help me a bit but I'm really unsure what I'll get! C3 really had me in panic!
    If you reckon you were bang on, what do you think you got in C2??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueturquoise)
    Hi!
    I was a bit confused about the grade boundaries... If you need 360 UMS for an A* but an A* on the paper is around 45 how do you get the correct UMS to get an A*? Or do they shift the UMS up and down according to the difficulty that year?

Also , do you need 85% overall to get an A*?
    Thanks
    Don't listen to that 85% bogus, teachers really seem to have little understanding of grade boundaries. You need 90% of the UMS MARKS for A*, but this is different for every exam. If an A* is 45/60, you actually got 90/100 UMS - If an A was 35, this would be 80 UMS. A mark of 40 would therefore be 85 UMS.
    If the A* boundary was at 48 and you got 48, this would be 90 UMS (getting 45 again would be <90 UMS). All the units are out of 100 UMS (A* in the ISA is 44, a mark of 44 = 90 UMS), so getting 90 in each unit gets you 360 overall.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.