Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Official English Literature GCSE AQA Exam Thread Watch

ReputationRep:
    I thought I would start a thread so that all the GCSE students who are doing English Literature on the AQA Exam board on the 18th and 22nd of May can discuss revision tips and tricks and offer help.

I am doing Inspector Calls and Of Mice and Men alongside Animal Farm and Carol Ann Duffy for the poems. Is any one else doing the same? Looking for some revision techniques as I'm struggling with this subject!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the Sunlight on the Grass anthology and TKAM, and then the Relationships section of MUTT anthology for poetry, so completely different but I've mostly revised by looking over past papers to see the kinds of questions that come up. From that, I've made up my own questions that are different to what has already been asked to try and come up with possibilities that could appear in the exam and made notes on possible comparisons I could make. Can't really think of many other ways aside from trying to remember key language features in each poem/short story

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Of Mice Of Men and An Inspector Calls for Unit 1 and I'm doing the Conflict cluster for Unit 2.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else irritated by how the "specification" for English Literature is three words: "characters, themes and settings"? They can ask as anything they want...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hariex)
    Anyone else irritated by how the "specification" for English Literature is three words: "characters, themes and settings"? They can ask as anything they want...
    Yes!! It is quite broad with all the different characters and their own individual analysis, the range of themes and all the settings to remember. Not to mention the quotes to recall, not looking forward to this at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KyraLaryea)
    I'm doing Of Mice Of Men and An Inspector Calls for Unit 1 and I'm doing the Conflict cluster for Unit 2.
    How have you began revising for Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls? I've done a few mindmaps but I feel as if it's not going in my head haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rubytuesday98)
    Yes!! It is quite broad with all the different characters and their own individual analysis, the range of themes and all the settings to remember. Not to mention the quotes to recall, not looking forward to this at all
    I dislike the ambiguity as well. I mean, when we study "characters" does that include Carlson and Whit? What about Bill Tenner? Which characters do you mean?

I'm just mythed why, when some subjects have at least nine pages of specification, English Literature can't do anything better than three words. Anyhow, they're my first two exams so it will be good to get it over and done with.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Of Mice and Men, Inspector calls and the conflict cluster too!
    To revise i am reading all the notes available - libraries are amazing!
    I make flashcards on the poems with structure themes and imagery etc and on the themes of both IC and OMAM
    Any other ideas??!!
    THANKS!

ReputationRep:
    Plus past papers obviously and inventing random questions

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing To Kill A Mockingbird & The Crucible also doing conflict cluster :eek:

ReputationRep:
    With the conflict cluster - any ideas of what it might be? I thought possibly come on come back? any revision tips?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rubytuesday98)
    How have you began revising for Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls? I've done a few mindmaps but I feel as if it's not going in my head haha!
    Haha, exactly what it's like for me most of the time. What I have been doing is practice questions and giving it to my brilliant teacher to mark and give feedback, and with that feedback I just put it in mind and practice doing more questions. I find it pretty hard to actually revise for English Literature, well English as a whole I just tend to do practice questions following the mark scheme so that I can ace my exam. I suggest you should start doing practice questions and getting feedback from your teachers. It helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danosaur_maisy)
    With the conflict cluster - any ideas of what it might be? I thought possibly come on come back? any revision tips?!
    Strong feeling it might be either The Right Word, The Yellow Palm, Futility or At The Border, 1979.

My teacher said she is not sure as they've all come up before, so expect the unexpected!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I'm doing OMAM and AIC as well as the poems from the relationships clusterrrr!

ReputationRep:
    Okay cool!!
    Im finding AIC really hard actually - i don't really have any idea what it might be... themes or a character i spose???

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.