The Student Room Group

Derealisation maybe? Need clarification.

Yo,

So I went back for the Easter holidays about a 2 months ago, went back to uni three weeks after that, but since the Easter holidays I've felt that everything is a little bit off? Like reality is slightly different, not in a bad way but I'm sure things have changed slightly, in a way that's odd but not scary or harmful.

That's the first part of the story. I didn't tell anyone about this because I found it wasn't really causing me distress, it was just a bit odd now and again. Didn't really bother me, I've just been dealing with it and trying to rationalise it.

Then it got weird. Today two of my flatmates came to me and told me that they felt the exact same thing- that something was off but they didn't know what it is, some sort of imperceivable change. I didn't really pay attention to my moments of 'something is weird' but now I have two people that are telling me the same thing, and I didn't even tell them about my experience, which I've found is actually pretty freaky.

I've told them that they might be experiencing exam stress, which they accepted, but the thing is I got this before exams and they said that they only felt it strongly in the past week with all their stress, but before that they felt...slightly odd?

Anyway, asking around here because I'm not sure if this is a form of derealisation or dissociation? Is it a problem if it's not causing any interruptions to any of our lives or any distressing feelings like paranoia or anxiety? Is this classified as a folie a deux/trois?

Thanks.
Hi!

I would suggest you check out this page, maybe even give Mind a ring, I've found them to be really helpful and it's anonymous (http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/dissociative-disorders/#.VgQxk_lViko). People are starting to say that derealisation disorders are as common as anxiety and depression so it could be what you are experiencing. It's mainly characterized by feeling that everything happening to you is very surreal.

I would suggest giving Mind a ring and maybe seeing your GP because symptoms could get worse and it could become disruptive. It could even be having an effect that you can't see yet. Even if it never gets disruptive, it's still a problem and worth talking to a professional about.
Original post by Anonymous
Yo,

So I went back for the Easter holidays about a 2 months ago, went back to uni three weeks after that, but since the Easter holidays I've felt that everything is a little bit off? Like reality is slightly different, not in a bad way but I'm sure things have changed slightly, in a way that's odd but not scary or harmful.

That's the first part of the story. I didn't tell anyone about this because I found it wasn't really causing me distress, it was just a bit odd now and again. Didn't really bother me, I've just been dealing with it and trying to rationalise it.

Then it got weird. Today two of my flatmates came to me and told me that they felt the exact same thing- that something was off but they didn't know what it is, some sort of imperceivable change. I didn't really pay attention to my moments of 'something is weird' but now I have two people that are telling me the same thing, and I didn't even tell them about my experience, which I've found is actually pretty freaky.

I've told them that they might be experiencing exam stress, which they accepted, but the thing is I got this before exams and they said that they only felt it strongly in the past week with all their stress, but before that they felt...slightly odd?

Anyway, asking around here because I'm not sure if this is a form of derealisation or dissociation? Is it a problem if it's not causing any interruptions to any of our lives or any distressing feelings like paranoia or anxiety? Is this classified as a folie a deux/trois?

Thanks.

hey, just checking in - have you sought out help yet? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest