Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A 1L vessel contains 1 mole of O2 . If the root mean square speed in x direction O2 molecules is <vx2>1/2=200 m s-1 find the pressure (in N/m2) in the vessel

For this I need some help

I originally just did the mass of O2 (1/36) x 2 x 200
    but I don't think thats right ....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacksonmeg)
    A 1L vessel contains 1 mole of O2 . If the root mean square speed in x direction O2 molecules is <vx2>1/2=200 m s-1 find the pressure (in N/m2) in the vessel

For this I need some help

I originally just did the mass of O2 (1/36) x 2 x 200
    but I don't think thats right ....
    1. From kinetic theory, the pressure and volume of gas in a container are related by:

pV=\frac{1}{3}Nm\bar{v^2}

where N,m,\bar{v^2} are number of (identical) molecules in the container, the mass of each molecule and the mean square speed respectively. You need to convert this into something you can use with a mass of gas (or maybe better, with moles of gas)

2. Assume that for a large N, the mean square velocities in the x,y,z directions are equal

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 11, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.