Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Why doesn't a game like chess have the appeal of other video games? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I try to introduce chess as a game to my friends and they are all like 'meh not my thing' or 'yeah i rather play this game' but I don't really get it. A game like chess is the pinnacle of strategic thought, it has a relatively low number of rules that you have to learn, but great depth in the actual game.

and it feels satisfying as **** to outplay someone in a game of chess whether it's by foreseeing a grand combo that crushes your opponents defenses, or by coming up with a superior long term plan to slowly grind out a win.

ReputationRep:
    Because attention spans are getting shorter and unfortunately chess is seen as geeky and uncool. I still don't know why so few women play the game, and why, for a game that is completely equal for competitors to play, so few women feature among the world's elite players.

I love a good game of chess

Unfortunately, I guess video games are more exciting :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Because it feels good to be amazing at something without trying.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I love chess!!!

ReputationRep:
    because people want that feel good factor they get from winning, hence why games are made so they are hard enough for people to struggle but easy enough for them to win. with chess it largely depends on the person you are playing against as to how easy or hard the game will be taking away all predictability. Personally i enjoyed chess most face to face in a slightly relaxed way, having a chat whilst playing. not as competitive but more enjoyable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    Because attention spans are getting shorter and unfortunately chess is seen as geeky and uncool. I still don't know why so few women play the game, and why, for a game that is completely equal for competitors to play, so few women feature among the world's elite players.
    Like, not to be sexist, but Women's brains are biologically different from males, so it may not just be a societal factor, although that is likely to play a part too.

For most every day things a small biological difference in the way the brain functions shouldn't matter too much, but I'm guessing at the highest level of chess, it may matter.

Why is maths generally seen as a boy thing, and why are most people doing maths/engineering degrees male? I think it might be the same reasons seen in chess.

ReputationRep:
    Chess has a pretty steep learning curve, and requires a lot of rote learning before you can actually use creativity.

ReputationRep:
    Because you don't get to run over prostitutes with a car.

ReputationRep:
    Because people find mw2 and asasssssins creed more interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vela1)
    Because you don't get to run over prostitutes with a car.
    never understood why thats enjoyable, just gets boring for me.

(Original post by SmashConcept)
    Chess has a pretty steep learning curve, and requires a lot of rote learning before you can actually use creativity.
    Ye i've always wanted to become good enough to play against others randomly, just never had the chance to practice i guess. maybe one day

ReputationRep:
    I guess that could be a factor. I never really found the learning curve steep, but maybe that's because I was given a brief introduction to the game such as relative value of pieces, all the main tactics to watch out for in a position, the basic checkmates as well as opening principles.

I guess the experience a player like me gets battling someone their own skill level is quite difference to someone who has just learned the rules and is playing the game for the first time, having never thought about it.

ReputationRep:
    Chess is alright.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CancerousProblem)
    Like, not to be sexist, but Women's brains are biologically different from males, so it may not just be a societal factor, although that is likely to play a part too.

For most every day things a small biological difference in the way the brain functions shouldn't matter too much, but I'm guessing at the highest level of chess, it may matter.

Why is maths generally seen as a boy thing, and why are most people doing maths/engineering degrees male? I think it might be the same reasons seen in chess.
    Not sexist at all. Judit Polgar came closest but only made it to 8th on the rankings list.

Chess is an amazing game and it's good to hear other people on here like it as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CancerousProblem)
    I try to introduce chess as a game to my friends and they are all like 'meh not my thing' or 'yeah i rather play this game' but I don't really get it. A game like chess is the pinnacle of strategic thought, it has a relatively low number of rules that you have to learn, but great depth in the actual game.

and it feels satisfying as **** to outplay someone in a game of chess whether it's by foreseeing a grand combo that crushes your opponents defenses, or by coming up with a superior long term plan to slowly grind out a win.
    It takes intellect. People don't have intellect. Also, the graphics aren't as good.

ReputationRep:
    Because people don't like to get crushed by their dad. Trust me, I can testify to that one Chess is one the marvels of the ancient world, more people should play it

ReputationRep:
    because chess is a board game, not a video game smh

I shall list 5 games better than both chess AND video games

1. Monopoly
    2. Cluedo
    3. Cranium
    4. Risk
    5. Mouse Trap

ReputationRep:
    So does DOTA 2, and more than 8 million people play it, so yeah:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    chess takes too long to get good at. if you want to play a man's game, look to connect 4 and scrabble.

ReputationRep:
    Steep learning curve, takes time to set up, pack away etc in comparison to a video game where you press a few buttons and in seconds you're into the action. Also, chess is just not seen as "cool" etc, I bet there are plenty of people who'd enjoy it if they gave it a go but it seems to Eton-boy. Also, GTA>Chess

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.