Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

What can I do? Can I still switch course after firming and doing insurance :/ ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a 2015 applicant and in year 13. I've not been sure on uni and just did the process anyway and I don't think I applied for the right course that interests ( I know I should've done my research, I did plenty. I liked it but couldn't find a better one). So, I waited till the deadline to do firm and insurance and I firmed Reading. However, I somehow stumbled on a Uni of Manchester course that really interests and something that I would love to learn more about. Is the process too late to change? I'm in the 4th day of the cooling off period. How would I go about asking if Manchester and that course will take me and seeing if they have spaces left? Or should I just leave this till clearing and ask reading and my insurance to release me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krs111)
    Hi, I'm a 2015 applicant and in year 13. I've not been sure on uni and just did the process anyway and I don't think I applied for the right course that interests ( I know I should've done my research, I did plenty. I liked it but couldn't find a better one). So, I waited till the deadline to do firm and insurance and I firmed Reading. However, I somehow stumbled on a Uni of Manchester course that really interests and something that I would love to learn more about. Is the process too late to change? I'm in the 4th day of the cooling off period. How would I go about asking if Manchester and that course will take me and seeing if they have spaces left? Or should I just leave this till clearing and ask reading and my insurance to release me?
    You could call Manchester and see if they have spaces on their course. If they do and are willing to consider you then you can call UCAS and ask them to release you from your firm and insurance. Make sure you do it within these 3 days otherwise the cool off period will be over. When they then release you you should be able to apply through extra and enter in Manchester's details. However obviously it is a risk as they may not accept you and then you've lost your other offers aswell but this way you won't have to wait in clearing as there is no guarantee that course will be there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r-t)
    You could call Manchester and see if they have spaces on their course. If they do and are willing to consider you then you can call UCAS and ask them to release you from your firm and insurance. Make sure you do it within these 3 days otherwise the cool off period will be over. When they then release you you should be able to apply through extra and enter in Manchester's details. However obviously it is a risk as they may not accept you and then you've lost your other offers aswell but this way you won't have to wait in clearing as there is no guarantee that course will be there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So if I email/call them surely I can still find out if they would accept me. It would be a similar personal statement too. Is there no way of getting my current offers back? So i'll have to do it in the background in next 2 days.

ReputationRep:
    So if I email/call them surely I can still find out if they would accept me. It would be a similar personal statement too. Is there no way of getting my current offers back? So i'll have to do it in the background in next 2 days.
    Well you should definitely call them rather than email as they could take days to respond at which point your cooling off period will be over. Be warned that just because the uni said they will accept you over the phone it doesn't mean an actual guarantee of acceptance as they haven't seen your application. Once you reject your firm ad insurance then you can't get them back unless you apply to them again through extra, clearing or adjustment. You can offer to email Manchester your personal statement if they said they'll consider you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r-t)
    Well you should definitely call them rather than email as they could take days to respond at which point your cooling off period will be over. Be warned that just because the uni said they will accept you over the phone it doesn't mean an actual guarantee of acceptance as they haven't seen your application. Once you reject your firm ad insurance then you can't get them back unless you apply to them again through extra, clearing or adjustment. You can offer to email Manchester your personal statement if they said they'll consider you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So it doesn't matter if I do it in the cooling off period. I will lose my firm and insurance anyway if I want to go to Manchester? As I can't suddenly move Manchester to firm/insurance right?

ReputationRep:
    So it doesn't matter if I do it in the cooling off period. I will lose my firm and insurance anyway if I want to go to Manchester? As I can't suddenly move Manchester to firm/insurance right?
    No, by the time Manchester decide whether or not to give you an offer the cooling period will be over anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.