The Student Room Group

Is it posdible to find love the old fashioned way?

I don't believe in dating.
I don't believe in flirting.
I don't believe in banter.
I don't believe in "chatting up" females.

I would prefer to find a partner by being her friend first, she and I would then hopefully develop feelings for each other, we would then enter a romantic relationship then I would meet her parents, she would also meet mine in addition to my BS friends.

When we enter a relationship we can go on dates.

Is that possible?
I am 22.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Of course that is possible! People are all different and looking for different things. Some girls like traditional dating with the whole meeting parents and going on dates stuff. You will be some girls dream guy, trust me. If you are wanting to meet a girl like this I would advise staying away from bars and clubs as generally girls here are far from old fashioned (not that this is a bad thing - not hating). Please don't stress about it though, there is someone for everyone and you're only young. You have plenty of time :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by NatalieBlundell
Of course that is possible! People are all different and looking for different things. Some girls look traditional dating with the whole meeting parents and going on dates stuff. You will some girls dream guy, trust me. If you are wanting to meet a girl like this I would advise staying away from bars and clubs as generally girls here are far from old fashioned (not that this is a bad thing - not hating). Please don't stress about it though, there is someone for everyone and you're only young. You have plenty of time :smile:

Thank you. I don't believe in going to bars or clubs.
yes
I did it :smile:
Original post by marythestudent
I did it :smile:

What's your story?
Original post by MylittlePlusle
Thank you. I don't believe in going to bars or clubs.

Well thats absolutely fine! At least you aren't looking in the wrong places, that's a start :tongue:
I bloody hope so because I can't "pull" to save my life!
But then again I don't have many female friends......

I may be f*cked
How is dating not old-fashioned? Unless you prefer the older term "courting," which involved the intention of marrying.

What's wrong with banter? Flirting? These all happened in old-fashioned times, you know...

Although I do admire you for wanting to be friend first and not jumping on the bandwagon that says you can't start off as friends if you don't want to be 'friendzoned.' I think that's a lovely way to get to know someone first.
Original post by Shellshocker93
I bloody hope so because I can't "pull" to save my life!
But then again I don't have many female friends......

I may be f*cked

I don't believe in this "pulling" stuff...

You do't have any female friends?... How is that possible? I have a lot of them. You just talk to females.
(edited 8 years ago)
This old-fashioned way of dating sounds more like arranged marriages to be honest.

What's wrong with dating and flirting? Even if you were introduced through mutual friends? Like a date doesn't have to be going out to a bar or anything. But at the moment, I don't know how you'd plan on liking each other if you never do anything together.
Original post by NatalieBlundell
Well thats absolutely fine! At least you aren't looking in the wrong places, that's a start :tongue:

Stop giving people hope you! Secretly we've all kind of accepted that if we're on a forum asking for advice on getting a relationship, we're destined to be alone. I mean look at me, as an example. I'm dog rough but once I accepted I am forever alone, I managed to direct my life in a positive direction :smile:

....And I have inflated self esteem, I know I am awesome, just ugly, gotta accept it :wink:
Original post by NeverTooLatte
How is dating not old-fashioned? Unless you prefer the older term "courting," which involved the intention of marrying.

What's wrong with banter? Flirting? These all happened in old-fashioned times, you know...

Although I do admire you for wanting to be friend first and not jumping on the bandwagon that says you can't start off as friends if you don't want to be 'friendzoned.' I think that's a lovely way to get to know someone first.

I don't believe in the idea of dating. E.g you go on dates to get to know someone... You're strangers, there is no foundation...

I don't think those things are right... Flirting may mess my mind up.

I don't get friend-zoned becuase I rarely ever tell a female that I have feelings for her. Most of my female friends have boyfriends anyway.
I don't believe in dating.
I don't believe in flirting.
I don't believe in banter.
I don't believe in "chatting up" females.

I would prefer to find a partner by being her friend first, she and I would then hopefully develop feelings for each other, we would then enter a romantic relationship then I would meet her parents, she would also meet mine in addition to my BS friends.

When we enter a relationship we can go on dates.

Is that possible?
I am 22.

It's not impossible but it is getting harder and harder.

Social media has changed everything.
Original post by iwantcurlyhairtoo
It's not impossible but it is getting harder and harder.

Social media has changed everything.

I know, it's sad. I'm going to be alone forever. Oh well.
I don't believe in this "pulling" stuff...

You do't have any female friends?... How is that possible? I have a lot of the. You jsut talk to females.

I have female colleagues, at work. My friends girlfriends, are my friends. The lass who has served me in Subway for 3 years straight and knows my order by heart on different days, I think she is my friend.

But I don't have a female friend who I can call up and say, "Wanna go cinema or hang out" or anything close to a relationship that I have with even the most distant of my male friends! Hence I have no female friends that could remotely turn into a romantic relationship.
Original post by Shellshocker93
I have female colleagues, at work. My friends girlfriends, are my friends. The lass who has served me in Subway for 3 years straight and knows my order by heart on different days, I think she is my friend.

But I don't have a female friend who I can call up and say, "Wanna go cinema or hang out" or anything close to a relationship that I have with even the most distant of my male friends! Hence I have no female friends that could remotely turn into a romantic relationship.

I think that's where you're going wrong... You should want to be a female's friend becuase you think she's a nice person not because you want to be her boyfriend... That's what I've been doing.
Your BS friends? It's not very nice to call your friends bull****. This happens to some people but it isn't ideal to hold onto thinking it will work out for you. There are many ways to meet people, you can date someone and get to know them enough for it to develop into something.
(edited 8 years ago)
'I don't believe in banter'? LOL! :toofunny:
Original post by phunky_fresh
Your BS friends? It's not very nice to call your friends bull****. This happens to some people but it isn't ideal to hold onto thinking it will work out for you. There are many ways to meet people, you can date someone and get to know them enough for it to develop into something.

BS=Beautiful special. I wouldn't ever insult my BS friends... I love them too much to do that...

I don't want to meet someone via dating. There's no foundation, there would only be physical attraction, that's lust. I don't want sexual intercourse.

Quick Reply

Latest