Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I've put Reading down as my firm to study English Undergraduate. I'm travelling all the way down from Liverpool to live in Reading where I will know literally no one, so it's vital that I make friends haha. What hall would any current student recommend which is Self catered, En Suite, full of freshers and usually very social.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NirvanaGriff)
    I've put Reading down as my firm to study English Undergraduate. I'm travelling all the way down from Liverpool to live in Reading where I will know literally no one, so it's vital that I make friends haha. What hall would any current student recommend which is Self catered, En Suite, full of freshers and usually very social.
    Hello,

I'm currently in my first year at Reading and I live in Bridges Hall which is a self catered En Suite. If I personally had to recommend a Halls however, or was thinking about returning to halls I would probably choose Mackinder. This is mostly because everyone I seem to know outside of my own halls is in Mackinder. Its a great place to make friends because its about a 2 minute walk to park bar where the majority of students go on a night out so you can meet anyone and everyone by just tuning up! Bridges is on the other side of the campus from park bar and Mackinder so it can be a bit of a trek to get anywhere so it doesn't feel quite as social to me (although I've had a great time and met loads of people!)

I would also recommend Stenton as that's also near other halls and quite sociable as well as near park bar. I think that If you chose any of the accommodation in the 'park group' you would easily make friends. I probably wouldn't choose Greenow and McCombie as that's quite common for returning students. The halls off campus, such as St Georges are quite sociable with each other and although they are literally a 2 minute walk away from campus it makes it a bit more inconvenient to meet up with people!

Overall I would definitely recommend any halls in the 'Park Group' however I'm sure you will make loads of friends wherever you end up as the JCR organises social events and you will meet lots of people though societies, clubs and your course! If you wanted a feel of the accommodation though I would recommended coming on an open day!
    Feel free to ask anymore questions,
    Amelia (first year studying History and Archaeology)

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.