Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.

I was wondering if anyone had any advise. I am currently looking into a PGCE in either art or DT.

I have both a BA and MA in Fine art with a first class in both. Whilst doing my MA I worked for my art school as a technician where i had the opportunity to teach at the university in some classes and also for the art schools in china for a while. I also worked in the workshop making stretchers, and doing general woodwork jobs.

Now I am working in a school in cambridge as an art technicin where I am able to keep gaining teaching experience covering lessons, teaching after school classes, life drawing etc.

But I was concerned at whether I had enough experience and whether or not I should go down the DT route to become more employable for both art and DT and to be able to qualify for help with funding.

Also I thought about history and geography too as I have a good interest in both and an A level, although I would probably be out of my league compared to those with the actual subject degrees.

Any info would be great!! Thank you

ReputationRep:
    You need to have a degree in what you want to teach but its not always black and white in the sense of, you can't teach with just an A Level in the subject (not at secondary school anyway) but with a degree in the subject you can.

I'm doing my third degree in a totally different subject to my last two and I'm finding it hard to get an answer regarding if I train in pgce subject a will I still be able to teach subjects b and c. That's my burning question and I suppose it's yours too.

I'm going to watch this thread with interest. The difficult thing is knowing which body to contact for advice because the situation isn't that common from what I've heard and even a number of agencies have not really known how to answer my question.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply. Yes that's the impression I have had. I remember at school afew teachers I had (ironically the best ones) actually did their PGCE is a subject totally different to their degrees and were great teachers who then had the flexibility to teach both.

The reason why I have thought about DT is because I find it enjoyable, and I belive that grants are available. Also DT and art are relatively similar.

Good luck

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.