Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Contraception and sex drive Watch

So this month I unexpectedly ran out of my Microgynon 30 (I thought I had another strip and I didn't), and I wasn't able to get a prescription for 2 weeks so i've been without it for a week. And I've noticed what seems to be a bit of an increased libido which is good because it was annoyingly low. So I'm thinking that it could have been the pill which was causing it.

I'd like to be able to keep this newfound sex drive, but in the past when i've not been on the pill it's given me painful and heavy periods. Can anyone recommend a contraception that would lessen period pain but not affect sex drive? I've got an appointment next week and I'd like to ask the doctor about switching :yep:

Oh and I should mention, I won't be able to get anything intrauterine :nah:

ReputationRep:
    Hey I've been on the pill for the past 2 years because my periods were VERY irregular therefore I was put on the for that reason. Low libido is one of the side effect unfortunately of 'the pill' however it can also be quite the opposite...I take Rigevidon and my libido is rocketing so you might want to ask for them. Apart from that I haven't had any side effects.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It varies. I've certainly had one partner where the contraceptive effect came partly from squashing her libido.

Microgynon 30 is a combined pill. You could try a progesterone-only one. Different formulations of both the combined and progesterone-only pill can have different effects too.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 11, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.