Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if most of your friends from uni come from your course, societies or your halls? I'll (hopefully) be studying Psychology at uni and i know that a high percentage of people studying Psychology are girls and I don't want to be stuck with girls for my entire uni life (especially since I go to an all-girls school).

ReputationRep:
    For me most come from societies, a few come from the course, and like none come from halls.

ReputationRep:
    Uni contains loads of people.
    See someone. Talk to them, find out about them, course, where from etc. From this tell what personality type they are (funny/ too serious/ boring) and follow up on the people you like and the people you don't like... "was nice to meet you. Bye"

Therefore, there should be no 'most'. Should be diverse.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how much you see people from each really, like if you've got 2 contact hours you're probably not going to make great friends with your coursemates as easily, or if your society is a quick meet up on a Sunday, etc. Flatmates are probably the easiest to make friends and spend time with but there's also a slightly higher risk that you won't get along with them as you might not share common interests.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Well at the first half of my first year, I had a split amount of friends from course and half from halls (lived with 18 people). So there was a lot. Had few arguments and it is way too *****y, which is what I hate about living with so much people!

I'm more friends with my course mates... I knew most of my friends through my coursemates. one coursemate in particular I go around to his student accom (a student village) and I'm friends with some of his whole floor and the one upstairs, and I'm also friends with more people from the student village than I am with people on campus.

I also wish, I was more forthcoming at Freshers. Met these 2 lads in the line for our wristbands and because two of my coursemates shouted my name (we met on Fb way before the course/uni started) so I went over to them whilst leaving my friend who was in the line with me to mingle, as the two lads were doing the same course as her. She became friends with my two friends that I met anyway.

But I think I will defo try harder to meet people from other floors and stuff. I mean, I did that sort of, but I am only friends with 1 person from another floor.

It depends on how confident you are I think. I also know how you feel. Your name suggests you are a girl, but I am a guy and I study English Lit so there was so many girls on my course and I've got 2 male friends from my course and the rest, about 5 or 6 girls are my course mates. The rest of my friends are a mix between the genders.

ReputationRep:
    Well here is the thing about uni you will me boys and girls in halls possibly your course and in societys just be your charming self and you will have lodes of rends b open and don't seclude yourself people drinking in the kitchen join them. I saw a tv show one and this girl didn't want to drink so instead of hanging out (like a normal person) and just drinking soft drinks she hid in the stairwell and spend all night talking to her best mate from collage and her mother on the phone. so baxicley annexing her self from the rest of her hall if people are not going out one day or most of you corridor are in why not make some popcorn put on a move and invite some of the hall to join you. So in short be open DO NOT ANNEX yourself on the first night and you will be fine
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xofia)
    Just wondering if most of your friends from uni come from your course, societies or your halls? I'll (hopefully) be studying Psychology at uni and i know that a high percentage of people studying Psychology are girls and I don't want to be stuck with girls for my entire uni life (especially since I go to an all-girls school).
    Hello!

My friends at uni are from many different areas. Don't worry about just sticking to your friends you make on your course or halls- universities are huge and you can be constantly meeting different people. Its important to get involved as you'll meet lots of people through various events, societies etc.

Feel free to ask any more questions,
    Pip, third year English Literature and History of Art

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xofia)
    Hi

I found that most friends come from halls. This is probably because you are technically living with them so it can automatically feel like a "family" so to speak. I would say it pays not to be too anxious about friends at university, I know sometimes we hurry around trying to find people to click with. lol There is this really funny book on amazon called " the secret diary of a university student: unlocked" who talks about a finding friends at uni, maybe you could check that out for advice.

Peace x

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.