Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

What's wrong with sensible austerity policies? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)
    Well the police still need probable cause to get a warrant for their arrest. They also won't be convicted without having gone through the legal process.

The same is true of corporations and others who are engaging in tax evasion. You have to go through the legal process to get it done.
    Doesn't seem to work. These corporations keep mounting up the bill. If they don't agree with the law they shouldn't be allowed to do business here.

(Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)
    Also you are a bit confused. Tax is stealing. Legal stealing but still stealing.
    I'd call tax an implicit agreement. So long as you're happy for the police to chase people who commit crimes against you, judges to convict them, roads for your car to drive on, your rubbish to be taken away etc etc then you are accepting that in some way this has to be paid for. Since it's impossible to opt out without becoming a hermit living off snails, it is implicit that you agree via the privileges you receive.

Where it gets controversial is when the tax is misused for things that aren't in the public interest but only protect the machinery of government and a minority elite. So, I think calling tax stealing is an opinion and not an objective fact. Hence I don't think I'm confused, just clear about how I view it.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.