Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Can you take your exams somewhere other than the exam hall? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'll be taking my mocks and then my proper exams very soon. However, I suffer from anxiety and am prone to panic attacks. These attacks are usually caused when I feel I'm in a situation where I cannot leave, at least not with ease, am under pressure or am being watched. I always need a relaxed environment where I can leave with teacher permission.
    I absolutely understand the strict conditions needed for an exam, but I feel as if I cannot sit an exam in the exam hall. I'm literally solely worrying about the exam hall rather than the exams themselves!
    I've taken early, casual mocks and in both cases I became too ill to proceed, fortunately being allowed to get up and walk out, to avoid fainting or vomiting. It's really not an exaggeration and I am very upset about it.
    I am not looking for a place where I can just cheat or laze. I just need a place that has little pressure, away from students. I'm not sure if this allowed, however.
    My school has an excellent student support team but I'm not sure if they can do anything. Do I need doctors permission, if this is allowed?

Thank you!

(tldr: can't sit in an exam hall without having a panic attack and need to know if I can have a room to myself)

(also, I have previously been excused from presentations and such due to my anxiety)

ReputationRep:
    If you can explain your situation to your support team and your teachers can support what you are saying then you may be able to move in a smaller room near the exam hall that has been approved. I think my friend also suffers from anxiety and sits in a smaller room. However I believe that you still have to be watched as you'll be under the same exam conditions that you would have been in the exam hall.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    speak to your exams officer as soon as possible to see if you can put in a room by yourself or at least with less people.

From your post they seem to be aware of your anxiety so I can't see why they would say no

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you talk to your exams officer, they will be able to organise for you to be in a smaller room. You don't need anything like a doctors letter to get one. I had bad anxiety so they just set up an extra room for me without needing evidence for my GCSEs. Now I have been diagnosed with dyslexia and dyspraxia I did need to give proof, but that was for extra time and a laptop as well for my A-Levels. You may not be completely alone, but a lot of the time you will be and in my school there are at the most 5 people in the room.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In my school you are allowed to sit with an invigilator in a separate room. You do the exam under normal conditions, but just by yourself. I would ask if that could be offered?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much, guys! I'll ask about it today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocMilkPlus)
    Hi, I'll be taking my mocks and then my proper exams very soon. However, I suffer from anxiety and am prone to panic attacks. These attacks are usually caused when I feel I'm in a situation where I cannot leave, at least not with ease, am under pressure or am being watched. I always need a relaxed environment where I can leave with teacher permission.
    I absolutely understand the strict conditions needed for an exam, but I feel as if I cannot sit an exam in the exam hall. I'm literally solely worrying about the exam hall rather than the exams themselves!
    I've taken early, casual mocks and in both cases I became too ill to proceed, fortunately being allowed to get up and walk out, to avoid fainting or vomiting. It's really not an exaggeration and I am very upset about it.
    I am not looking for a place where I can just cheat or laze. I just need a place that has little pressure, away from students. I'm not sure if this allowed, however.
    My school has an excellent student support team but I'm not sure if they can do anything. Do I need doctors permission, if this is allowed?

Thank you!

(tldr: can't sit in an exam hall without having a panic attack and need to know if I can have a room to myself)

(also, I have previously been excused from presentations and such due to my anxiety)
    You can have a room to yourself, and you can also have friendly invigilation,which means you have someone in the room who is not walking around and peering over your shoulder, but just sits in the corner and reads. It doesn't give you any advantage, it just allows you to actually complete your exam. I have my own room for exams, and it made such a difference, I went from Es/Us in mocks to Bs/Cs in the real thing.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.