Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm reaching the end of 1st year and it's been the loneliest experience ever! I have a friend who I went to school with who's nice, but nobody else seems to have any interest with me or wanting to do something outside of uni...
    I've tried to talk to a few other people on my course but they're not interested! I consider myself a kind sort of person that just wants to get along with everyone! Just ruins my uni experience any advice?
    PS I live off campus and only attended one freshers event with a friend, and nobody seemed interested in me hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maybe people thought you weren't interested in them? You aren't going to have loads of friends if you aren't going out and meeting people. I live off campus and I have plenty of friends. Are you part of any societies? Or any sports clubs? Do you make small talk with people before your classes start? Are you involved in uni in any way (class reps etc)? There are plenty of ways to meet people, but going to one freshers event and then being surprised that you have no friends a year later isn't going to help.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vault101)
    I'm reaching the end of 1st year and it's been the loneliest experience ever! I have a friend who I went to school with who's nice, but nobody else seems to have any interest with me or wanting to do something outside of uni...
    I've tried to talk to a few other people on my course but they're not interested! I consider myself a kind sort of person that just wants to get along with everyone! Just ruins my uni experience any advice?
    PS I live off campus and only attended one freshers event with a friend, and nobody seemed interested in me hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Where will you be living next year? Try to go to freshers, or try to meet people in accommodation. Post of Facebook Fresher's page and be like "I was a 1st year and if you want to know anything, feel free to aks questions" and etc, like that's how quite a few people make friends. Essentially, if you do this, you'll be in the same boat as the 1st years so making friends with them seem to be a good thing.

Also, do you have anyone from your course on Fb? could try an dmake a subject page and be the admin for that. Get people involved by asking what modules did they take, which lecturer they can't stand. How they are stressing for their exams (if they have any). You can't sit around expecting people to come to you, you have to make your presence be known to people.

Try some of my suggestions and see how it works out!

ReputationRep:
    Try moving in to halls

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I feel like I've had exactly the same experience, the only difference being that I do live on campus.

When I started uni I felt like it would be this big adventure, with lots of things to do and loads of new people, and was so excited! But now I've almost finished first year and I find that most of my time is spent feeling lonely in my room. Everyone says 'join societies! Talk to people on your course!' and tbh i kind of find this frustrating because I have been involved with societies and am always trying to engage people in conversation but, I don't know, I feel as though no 'aquaintances' have developed into proper friendships i.e. people to go for a couple of drinks with it go to lunch with for example. Maybe it's just my social awkwardness and shyness when meeting new people...

The time this really got to me was when everyone was sorting out housing for next year and I was stuck as I had no one to go with. Luckily, I was talking about this with a girl on my course who I sort of knew from my old sixth form who needed an extra person so it's sorted now but...

Sorry for the rant but what I'm basically trying to say is that while it may seem like everyone at uni is having the time of their lives with their new best friends, this isn't always the case and there are other people who are feeling exactly the same as you!

Hope this helps in some way!

ReputationRep:
    Embrace the loneliness, it is your true friend.

ReputationRep:
    I have had exactly the same experience this year but I live on campus. I found that I don't really get along well with people on my course and there isn't much group work involved so we don't really talk outside of lectures and small talk. I'm lucky that I get on really well with my housemates but other than them I haven't had much luck making friends at uni either so you're not alone! People I know who have huge groups of friends at uni are mainly from societies so maybe it's worth joining some, even if it's something you're not into? I know someone from this year who joined every society the uni has just to meet people! You're definitely not alone though, a lot of people expect uni to be really sociable and it's not always the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vault101)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have you joined any societies, it's a good way to meet people?

I think just putting yourself out there when you go to lectures and making and genuine interest to talk to people is going to make a difference. I'm not saying you haven't made an effort, just saying put more effort into taking an interest in someone. It's easy for anyone to talk generally like ' hello how are you?' . Maybe organise eat out after a lecture? or organise a revision session if you have exams coming up?

For them to be interested in talking to you, you have to give them your interest too.

ReputationRep:
    I have no friends at uni either, and it's fine. Netflix is the only friend I need

ReputationRep:
    societies are good places to meet like minded people.. the fun ones. Halls are probably the best place to make friends because you see the everyday

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.