Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AS AQA Sociology Families + Households Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protégé)
    I do History, Sociology, Psychology and IT. I usually write less but with just concise points that get the marks. That's one of the reasons I dislike Sociology, the mark scheme is just weird. My teacher told me to just write down everything I know about a topic in an essay question..
    I've looked at the mark scheme and all the examiner gets at the bottom is just a list of points that could have been included. Seems like you probably could just write anything and everything down
    (I also take history, which sections are you doing in tomorrows exam?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaifJalali)
    It's true. I think Sociology is one of the only subjects in which you can talk about completely different theories (obviously pertaining to the same topic) yet still get the same, if not higher marks than someone else. I suppose in a way that could be a good thing though as instead of assessing your ability to regurgitate information you are actually being assessed on your clarity/organisational skills.

Whatever the case may be, let's just hope we all get what we want!
    Yeah, in my previous essays in Sociology I've only gotten around 15/16 marks. Partly because I couldn't be bothered and partly because I only liked writing about the specific topic mentioned and nothing else. I barely ever mentioned the names of theorists and I usually only wrote about a side for each essay. In the recent exam I think that my performance has shot up solely from just revising at home, I've used the names of theorists extensively, dates, etc. Goes to show that you don't need a teacher for everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazzamee)
    I've looked at the mark scheme and all the examiner gets at the bottom is just a list of points that could have been included. Seems like you probably could just write anything and everything down
    (I also take history, which sections are you doing in tomorrows exam?)
    Ah, that's good to know.

Britain 1906-51, what about you?

ReputationRep:
    For the childhood question I wrote;
    Postman 'childhood is disappearing at a dazzling speed' and talked about print and tv culture
    Then I did Aries against it saying he looked at Middle ages and saw childhood didn't exist and how we are obsessed with it
    I did Sue Palmer and Toxic Childhood and then criticised it with Shorter saying children have more rights etc and are protected from child labour Etc so they can enjoy childhood
    Then I said however in other countries e.g Samanatha Punch's study in Bolivia that they still have to do adult responsibilities Etc so they don't get the chance to have a 'normal' childhood
    I done child liberationists saying childhood is not lost but spreading throughout the world? And said however childhood isn't perfect in the west as Britain is at the top of international league tablets for self harm etc .. And explained that this wasn't what childhood should be like?
    Please can someone tell me if this is at all correct

ReputationRep:
    Ah, that's good to know.

Britain 1906-51, what about you?
    China 1949-76
    USA in Asia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazzamee)
    China 1949-76
    USA in Asia
    Is that Communist China?

I'm doing the US intervention in Vietnam, does that tie in?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have Stalin and Civil Rights in USA exam tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Is that Communist China?

I'm doing the US intervention in Vietnam, does that tie in?
    Yeah, all about Mao from forming the party up until his death.
    USA we could get asked about Korea or Vietnam

ReputationRep:
    I have no clue how I did, childhood is my strongest topic and on the plus side I got everything in,, But I mean literally EVERYTHING about childhood ( I covered 12 pages for my whole exam), including probably waaay too much on march of progress, too much on social construct. Will Ii get marked down for the irrelevant points that don't really form an argument? But i did get the points on Postman, Palmer, Aries as well, so in there somewhere I answered the question
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by SaifJalali)
    You have no idea how nice that is to hear lol! I'm trying to apply to Cambridge next year and you need 90% UMS in pretty much every exam so I'm just contemplating all the stupid mistakes I may have made
    Honestly, there's no need to stress, from the answers you've posted you seem like you've done everything correctly! I'm sure Cambridge won't mind you dropping a mark or two, since you've practically bagged the others :cool:

ReputationRep:
    1)Household: people living together inside a house eg) nuclear fam or extended...(got 1mark as i didnt write blood related)
    2) I wrote about secularisation and changing in attitudes
    3) they produce profits, unit of consumption, women reproduce the work force, wrote 3/4 more as I was confused
    4) talked about all theories such as functi, fem, Marx, new right and put policies within them..out policies such as materiality/paternity, taxes, teenage pregnancy, NHS, welfare benefits etc
    5)For childhood i wrote about March of progress and conflict view. Eg) laws banning child labour etc and for conflict inequalities between children and adults...like control over clothing etcI also wrote about the future of childhood - postman and opie..IS THIS OKAY???

What grade do you think I got??? So scared

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prina_R)
    1)Household: people living together inside a house eg) nuclear fam or extended...(got 1mark as i didnt write blood related)
    2) I wrote about secularisation and changing in attitudes
    3) they produce profits, unit of consumption, women reproduce the work force, wrote 3/4 more as I was confused
    4) talked about all theories such as functi, fem, Marx, new right and put policies within them..out policies such as materiality/paternity, taxes, teenage pregnancy, NHS, welfare benefits etc
    5)For childhood i wrote about March of progress and conflict view. Eg) laws banning child labour etc and for conflict inequalities between children and adults...like control over clothing etcI also wrote about the future of childhood - postman and opie..IS THIS OKAY???

What grade do you think I got??? So scared

Posted from TSR Mobile

probs a high B or low A

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, that's made me better haha, how did you find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, that's made me better haha, how did you find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

no problm & yh i loved it espeacially the gov. policies

ReputationRep:
    This was my first resit, I feel like it went really well to be honest!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amelia4_xo)
    no problm & yh i loved it espeacially the gov. policies
    Did you just list policies or integrate them with different perspectives and sociologists?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Did you just list policies or integrate them with different perspectives and sociologists?

Posted from TSR Mobile

integrated. stated sociological perspective and then gave polices as either or examples or part of the point.

ReputationRep:
    What was your 25 point question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And how exactly where they written? I have my Cambridge on Monday and I'm just wondering xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.