The Student Room Group

AS AQA Sociology Families + Households

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE="Unlikely;55660611"]
Original post by thefreakoffreaks
Mate, asses and examine are not the same thing REGARDING sociology and properly every other examination. Examine means to explain, but assess consists of looking at both sides of the argument

Our teacher said that examine, explain, asses are essentially the same thing, because while we examine/assess/explain, we would be writing the same content e.g. advantages, disadvantages etc. in all cases we are analyzing sociological perspectives or policies

That is exactly what I have been saying... :wink:
Reply 81
Original post by Tj789
Yep they can but I think the examine question would be easier, all you do is outline it and slightly criticise it within the paragraph- and remember!!!!! Evaluation is not just weaknesses its strengths my teacher said that a good strength to always talk about is "this is relevant to day because"...

because most sociological explanations still are such as the unit of consumption for marxists

Wait do you criticise within the paragraph

For example if the question was 'assess the feminist theory of the family'

do you talk about liberal feminism, radical feminism, marxist feminism difference feminism and then after doing all those talk about marxism and functionalism for example

or do you do it within...for example talk about liberal feminism and then mention marxism?
Reply 82
Original post by xxvine

do you talk about liberal feminism, radical feminism, marxist feminism difference feminism and then after doing all those talk about marxism and functionalism for example

or do you do it within...for example talk about liberal feminism and then mention marxism?

You talk about the advantages and disadvantages of each of the feminist perspectives, you can mention functionalist and Marxist criticisms of the different feminist views, how they contrast or how they agree with each other
Mark schemes for Sociology seem pretty lenient.
Im one of those people who has now left everything to last minute, what topics should I really focus on tonight?
Original post by Uw0tm8_
Anyone got reasons for why childhood isnt socially constructed?

(ive only got Wyness with the dominant framework and prout who backs it up with the idea of development-ism IDEK if they relate i cant find anything ffs)

Discuss the view that childhood is a social construct
Page 1:http://gyazo.com/c58debade4424c2953a3aec3797226f0
Page 2:http://gyazo.com/c427ec10887955c262f61bd68ef775bc
Reply 86
Original post by smills12
Im one of those people who has now left everything to last minute, what topics should I really focus on tonight?

Hey, social policy, maybe family diversity. Id also have a good look at couples and childhood
Reply 87
Original post by xxvine

You can for assess if you want but the evaluation points will be gained simply by providing a for and against argument, and critism can be made in the conc "Overall social policies have a positive effect on families because even though NR put forwards blah blah blah.....

Examine- then criticise in paragraphs I think
Reply 88
How long should a 24mark answer be, in terms of A4 sides?
Reply 89
Someone!!! Please please explain what gender regimes are! I dont understand!!!
Original post by Tj789
I wish. Have you got any more tips? Also I wanted to ask you know for 24 markers in the intro do you make your judgement or save it for the conc?

Final judgement must be saved for the conclusion.

In the intro you just clarify what the key terms are e.g. if the question is about feminism, say what they think overall (that the family is a patriarchal institution) and breiflt mention the opposition to the subject in question (which in this case, could be the Functionalists and new Right thinkers)
Original post by Tj789
You know how you have to come to a firm judgement- do you make your judgement in your into or save it for the conc?

In the conclusion, you basically summarise what you've spoken (without going into detail!)

E.g. although it is evident, according to feminists that families function to benefit men and oppress women, functionalists would disagree with their viewpoint and argue that the family benefits both society and its' members
Reply 92
Is Donzelot a Marxist?
Do you have to make a judgement or write your opinion? (e.g "I believe the marxists are right blah blah")

And also for the structure is it:

Intro
Argument for
Argument against
Conclusion

or do you do criticisms after each point?

Into
paragraph 1 - for against
paragraph 2 - for against
(Until you run out of things to say)
Conclusion.

Thanks
Reply 94
wait, why do people think childhood will come up when it came up as a 24 marker in june 2012?
Apparently they think roles/power, social policy, and childhood is gonna come up tomorrow
Reply 96
Basically left everything until the last minute, what do you all recommend I really focus on tonight and tomorrow morning?
Reply 97
My teacher predicts social policy ,childhood or feminism
Reply 98
Original post by xxvine
Actually its Feminism they are saying

Post modernism came up in Jan 2013

Where are people saying this?
Reply 99
i just don't know what to put in an essay about childhood! do i put about changes such as compulsory schooling,laws etc., do i put about the march of progress view vs the conflict view or do i put about the arguments as to whterh childhood is disappearing or spreading globally?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending