Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Am I being irresponsible or is my family being overprotective? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm a seventeen year old girl, and I'll be eighteen in a few months. I met this guy about 6 months back and didn't really get the chance to get to know him. In the last week we've met a couple of times and I really, really like him. He waited for me after I finished work and took me for a bite to eat then back to his place (he introduced me to his mum, dad and two sisters who stayed in the house with us) and we watched a film together.

I told my dad that I was meeting this guy and he seems fine with it, he's just really annoyed that I asked him to pick me up at 10 o'clock. I have an uncle who does a lot for me who I didn't tell, purely on the basis that I didn't know how to and figured my dad would say it to him for me, has accused me of being flat out irresponsible and refuses to take me anywhere or let me go to any parties or anything. I realise I should have told him but I really didn't know how to, and I don't feel like I did anything that out of order.

Can anyone advise me on how to fix this quickly? I've got exams on just now and I can't handle my family members shunning me because of this.

Thanks.

Explain all this directly to your uncle. Let your family meet the boy and TAKE THINGS SLOWLY - you need to make sure that the family can see you are being responsible and are doing this for the relationship and not for a teenage fling. It will sort quickly if you are open and honest no matter how awkward the situation gets. Also if arguing do not answer back, be mature and allow them to have it out with you before you maturely and CALMLY summarise that you accept their point and are grateful for their protection but you are almost 18 years old and you want them to trust you. Then tell them that you need to make mistakes in life and if this is one of them then so be it but you will be responsible and you want your family to be there for you if anything goes wrong

Good luck!!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 22, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.