Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Job & rent/moving issues Watch

ReputationRep:
    Me and my fiancé are moving out of our student flat and into his 'rents place up north to pay off our overdrafts - his parents own a business and he works there over summer etc. They want us to move out within 3 months. We want to move somewhere in the midlands or nearby as my family are down south and we want to be in the middle of them both.
    If we apply for jobs (say... Bristol. I know its southwest but ssh) and we get one, do we commute for a couple of hours each way until we get enough money to put a deposit down on a flat? Do we get a flat before we get a job (after saving for a deposit) and just hope that we'll get one once we are there? My OH's dad said he doesn't want him to rely on the family business for work which might mean that if we got a flat and then didn't get a job, my OH might not be able to go back to work there for the rent money.

Or something else..

Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I d say landlord are always happier when you ve got jobs, so you d be more likely to get the flat you wanted if you wait till you got jobs and have a little bit in savings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    I d say landlord are always happier when you ve got jobs, so you d be more likely to get the flat you wanted if you wait till you got jobs and have a little bit in savings
    That's what I was thinking but it's going to be such a long commute :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holson)
    That's what I was thinking but it's going to be such a long commute :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
    the only thing i could say is maybe go for a shorter distance but then depends on if your willing to budge on location or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    the only thing i could say is maybe go for a shorter distance but then depends on if your willing to budge on location or not
    We don't really mind location but we just want to be in between our families, especially because of the eventual wedding and baby plans! We are in Gloucestershire atm and kinda want to stay at the same distance as we are now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maybe stay in temporary accommodation (hostel, B&B, hotel, Airbnb, Couchsurfing, etc) in the town/city you work in until you can get your flat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    Maybe stay in temporary accommodation (hostel, B&B, hotel, Airbnb, Couchsurfing, etc) in the town/city you work in until you can get your flat?
    Good idea. I guess we can live out of a suitcase for a while

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good . I plan on doing it myself over the summer, staying in a backpackers hostel in between moving out of student halls and into a houseshare before the new academic year. Should be more interesting than going back to my boring hometown! :p: Good luck :top:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i agree with that idea, maybe you could be lodgers or find a houseshare, gives you time to find just the right flat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    Good . I plan on doing it myself over the summer, staying in a backpackers hostel in between moving out of student halls and into a houseshare before the new academic year. Should be more interesting than going back to my boring hometown! :p: Good luck :top:
    Thank you. I might look into short-stay lets or something because my OH's mum said she doesn't really want any of our stuff in the house so we'd have to take literally everything with us everywhere! Wahh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    if you don't have a job any accommodation you might find will probably be a dump and very expensive. Few landlords take people on benefit and those that do are often the sort you don't want to deal with. If your parents would guarantee the rent you might find something less horrible.

Once you have a job, or one of you does, you can either try your bank for an approved overdraft, bank of mum and dad or rent deposit scheme http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...d_bond_schemes

If you need to rent unfurnished try freeceycle for furniture - people are often quite generous if you say you are setting up home for the first time and will raid their attics to help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parentlurker)
    if you don't have a job any accommodation you might find will probably be a dump and very expensive. Few landlords take people on benefit and those that do are often the sort you don't want to deal with. If your parents would guarantee the rent you might find something less horrible.

Once you have a job, or one of you does, you can either try your bank for an approved overdraft, bank of mum and dad or rent deposit scheme http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...d_bond_schemes

If you need to rent unfurnished try freeceycle for furniture - people are often quite generous if you say you are setting up home for the first time and will raid their attics to help
    (Not on benefits and never will be btw)
    My parents are pretty poor so that's not an option and my OH's are reaaaally tight with money... So prob not bank of M&D!

I'll look at the rent deposit scheme, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Not on benefits and never will be btw)
    My parents are pretty poor so that's not an option and my OH's are reaaaally tight with money... So prob not bank of M&D!

I'll look at the rent deposit scheme, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There are many people currently in receipt of benefits who never thought they would be - you could be hit by a bus tomorrow, your parents unable to provide expensive care; you could have a severey disabled child; your boyfriend could leave you with several children one day, not support them and you need time to find a job and put childcare in place; you could be one of the people who become severely mentally ill.. Ultimately you will be in a receipt of a pension that you may or may not have funded yourself. There are fortunate people who never need benefits but unless they are sociopaths they know they are fortunate. If you are trying to get a flat without a job but with no evidence of any income there is even less chance than if you can show you are receiving benefit.

If you can save some money you could live in a hostel/ caravan/ b&b for a while until it ran out.

To increase the chance of being considered for a rent deposit scheme register with your council as homeless.

A bank will probaby be willing to authorise an increased overdraft for a rent deposit if you can show proof you have a job offer. If not and your boyfriend's parents want you to move out they may either loan you the deposit or guarantee the rent.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 13, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources
How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.