Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Masters Degree Germany Or Canada? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    this is a foreign student currently studying in UK, as i have just finished my final exam last week i have already started planning about my future education. I came here (UK) in 2009 i did 2 years BTEC level 3 diploma in business and finance then got enrolled in 3 years BA Hons degree in business management which will be completed this year. Now i am very confused whether to go for masters here in the UK or somewhere else.

A big part of the reasons coming UK was looking for a better life, hoping one day i will be able to settle my self here, get a better job and live rest of my life here. As a developing country huge amount of students go to abroad for education and studying abroad is never easy, different language, different education system, different culture and most difficult thing is that we have to back ourself through private finance which cost our parents a fortune and the visa application is a pain in the back side, i remember when i applied for student visa for UK the amount of paper works i had to submit was unimaginable. Nonetheless students still go through them in search of a better life, so did i. When i was in school my parents always encouraged me to go abroad for better education and life. Back home is a mess and i am thankful to my parents that they have invested so much on me just so that i can have a better life. The reason for this bit is to avoid any bully, i asked for advice somewhere all i got was bullying like ''illegal immigrant'' ''bogus student'' and such than any useful advice.

In the last election when conservative government came and introduced some strict student visa policy i was pleased i thought that would limit all the bogus students coming here and taking advantage of the education system. and then in 2012 they closed the post-study work permit which allowed students working anywhere after their bachelor degree so that they can put something on the CV plus bit of saving money for masters degree. The government didn't stop there they brought out new Tier 2 general policy through which students can work under businesses that registered as a tier 2 sponsor and there was a salary cap of £20,700 now i don't think a fresh graduate just finished university no work experience would get a 20k job, maybe 100 in a thousand nonetheless it is a one hell of a challenge for students. And now that Tories came back in for another 5 years i believe that the situation will get even worse. which made me thinking for alternative options. i already looked up tuition fees for postgraduate courses like, marketing, accounting, business development, supply chain and management which would roughly going to cost me between 15k-20k and i dont think it will be worth it if i have to go back.

Which is why i came to you my fellow students, so far i have picked Canada and Germany for my masters degree, i dont have anybody living in those country and looking up online doent really give me a good insight. The reason for choosing Canada is that i heard their education system is even better than UK, their masters degree takes 2 years where in UK its 1 year so i suppose they teach more stuff also i heard that students can live and work there after completing their study and they can also become citizen plus they speak English means that i wouldnt need to learn any other language for jobs.
    and as for Germany i heard they abolished tuition fees for both local and intl students recently which came to me as a big surprise i dont know though what would happen after finishing study if students are allowed to stay and work i do know that i have to learn German language for jobs as English isnt widely used there.

So please do share your knowledge and thoughts, any students currently studying there or have been there i would be grateful if you advice me on particular uni's or tell me a little about visa application process, lifestyle, culture, jobs, anything useful.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tanvir90)
    Hello,
    this is a foreign student currently studying in UK, as i have just finished my final exam last week i have already started planning about my future education. I came here (UK) in 2009 i did 2 years BTEC level 3 diploma in business and finance then got enrolled in 3 years BA Hons degree in business management which will be completed this year. Now i am very confused whether to go for masters here in the UK or somewhere else.

A big part of the reasons coming UK was looking for a better life, hoping one day i will be able to settle my self here, get a better job and live rest of my life here. As a developing country huge amount of students go to abroad for education and studying abroad is never easy, different language, different education system, different culture and most difficult thing is that we have to back ourself through private finance which cost our parents a fortune and the visa application is a pain in the back side, i remember when i applied for student visa for UK the amount of paper works i had to submit was unimaginable. Nonetheless students still go through them in search of a better life, so did i. When i was in school my parents always encouraged me to go abroad for better education and life. Back home is a mess and i am thankful to my parents that they have invested so much on me just so that i can have a better life. The reason for this bit is to avoid any bully, i asked for advice somewhere all i got was bullying like ''illegal immigrant'' ''bogus student'' and such than any useful advice.

In the last election when conservative government came and introduced some strict student visa policy i was pleased i thought that would limit all the bogus students coming here and taking advantage of the education system. and then in 2012 they closed the post-study work permit which allowed students working anywhere after their bachelor degree so that they can put something on the CV plus bit of saving money for masters degree. The government didn't stop there they brought out new Tier 2 general policy through which students can work under businesses that registered as a tier 2 sponsor and there was a salary cap of £20,700 now i don't think a fresh graduate just finished university no work experience would get a 20k job, maybe 100 in a thousand nonetheless it is a one hell of a challenge for students. And now that Tories came back in for another 5 years i believe that the situation will get even worse. which made me thinking for alternative options. i already looked up tuition fees for postgraduate courses like, marketing, accounting, business development, supply chain and management which would roughly going to cost me between 15k-20k and i dont think it will be worth it if i have to go back.

Which is why i came to you my fellow students, so far i have picked Canada and Germany for my masters degree, i dont have anybody living in those country and looking up online doent really give me a good insight. The reason for choosing Canada is that i heard their education system is even better than UK, their masters degree takes 2 years where in UK its 1 year so i suppose they teach more stuff also i heard that students can live and work there after completing their study and they can also become citizen plus they speak English means that i wouldnt need to learn any other language for jobs.
    and as for Germany i heard they abolished tuition fees for both local and intl students recently which came to me as a big surprise i dont know though what would happen after finishing study if students are allowed to stay and work i do know that i have to learn German language for jobs as English isnt widely used there.

So please do share your knowledge and thoughts, any students currently studying there or have been there i would be grateful if you advice me on particular uni's or tell me a little about visa application process, lifestyle, culture, jobs, anything useful.

thanks
    Hi there.

I don't know where you are originally from, so it would be hard to answer this. In my opinion, I think it would be a good idea to study in Germany if you are planning to stay in Europe. Similarly, if you are planning to stay in Canada, then it would be best to study in Canada.

Seems like you don't want to stay in the UK, so I think it wouldn't be ideal for you to continue studying in the UK, given that you will have to spend enormous amounts of money in order to fund another year of education.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.