Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Failing first year due to personal circumstances Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    (University of Hertfordshire) I did well in some of the exams but I will be failing my first year of University due to depression and some personal circumstances. Do you think the University will allow me to drop out of my course and take another course, it is the end of the course basically, the course I did really want to do before choosing Computer Science was Diagnostic Radiography and Imaging BSc but I thought I wouldn't get an offer if I applied. I love Computer Science but I don't want to have a career in it I would rather help people and do something which is highly appealing to me. Is anyone in a similar situation or have any advice?

Thank you
    Ali

ReputationRep:
    If you didn't think you would get an offer before why do you think you will now?

ReputationRep:
    Do you meet the requirements for the new course?

Did you apply for extenuating circumstances? Have you been diagnosed with depression?

ReputationRep:
    @Duncan2012
    Yes, I have enough UCAS points etc.
    @FeelingDepressed I have the UCAS points and before I don't know, just thought CS was the safest option but it isn't what I want to do all my life, thats was one of my mistakes I guess. I don't really care about the salary, I want a rewarding job and to be able to work abroad, I just want to be able to help people in anyway that is why I want to work in a hospital environment.

And I didn't know what to do before, I isolated myself from anyone and didn't talk to anyone about it at all until now, I might have left it too late but I will try everything now to sort it out. I should have gotten help before but I was lost, stupid and had no motivation to do anything. I also have some liver problem which my Doctor is currently diagnosing, I haven't spoken to him about my depression yet.
    I know I have made a huge mistake by not getting help or talking to someone.
    I'm going to see my Doctor today, first time in a long time I have actually woken up at the right time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ali A S AK)
    @Duncan2012
    Yes, I have enough UCAS points etc.
    @FeelingDepressed I have the UCAS points and before I don't know, just thought CS was the safest option but it isn't what I want to do all my life, thats was one of my mistakes I guess. I don't really care about the salary, I want a rewarding job and to be able to work abroad, I just want to be able to help people in anyway that is why I want to work in a hospital environment.

And I didn't know what to do before, I isolated myself from anyone and didn't talk to anyone about it at all until now, I might have left it too late but I will try everything now to sort it out. I should have gotten help before but I was lost, stupid and had no motivation to do anything. I also have some liver problem which my Doctor is currently diagnosing, I haven't spoken to him about my depression yet.
    I know I have made a huge mistake by not getting help or talking to someone.
    I'm going to see my Doctor today, first time in a long time I have actually woken up at the right time.
    sorry for the late reply.

Well done you! a step in the right direction. If you can, with the support of family and friends, take a year away from Uni, maybe get a job or volunteering in caring profession and some essential hospital work experience in a radiology department as this is necessary (at least a day) for radiography.

A new focus and surrounding yourself by people possibly in a worse situation than yourself whilst addressing your health issues are all positive steps and I wish you the best of luck!

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.