Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

anyone help in my uni choice Watch

ReputationRep:
    I received all five of my uni offers but i'm completely torn on what uni to chose. Its between Dundee, Northampton and Bangor.
    Can anyone give me any information on what these universities are like I couldn't visit any because I couldn't travel over (I live in Belfast.) Information on teaching, student life, the towns, how easy/hard it is to get a part time job.
    Thanks (:

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I don't know anything about Northampton or Bangor, but I'll be studying at Dundee starting in September and have visited the uni on an applicant day.
    What would you be studying? Dundee is pretty good all round as far as I know but their specialty seems to be life sciences, which they are ranked highly on. All the staff I met were friendly and seemed very passionate about their subjects.
    As for student life, Dundee has a great union with many societies and is ranked highly on student satisfaction. The accommodation is modern and and nice, although it is quite expensive.
    I was apprehensive about Dundee at first but the city is pretty good. It's not that big, but there's a small shopping centre and plenty of small shops.
    I hope at least some of this information is useful - please let me know if you want to know anything else about Dundee and I'll try my best to help!
    Good luck with your decision
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Reburta,

If you are still having trouble deciding and cannot make it over to Northampton then perhaps have a little look at our virtual tour on the webpage below. Also, If you have any burning questions about the course or the university in general then do not hesitate to give me a call on 01604 893282. We can also arrange for you to have a chat with one of the tutors for more information on lectures, assignments and modules etc.

http://starttheconversation.co.uk/

Laura

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reburta)
    I received all five of my uni offers but i'm completely torn on what uni to chose. Its between Dundee, Northampton and Bangor.
    Can anyone give me any information on what these universities are like I couldn't visit any because I couldn't travel over (I live in Belfast.) Information on teaching, student life, the towns, how easy/hard it is to get a part time job.
    Thanks (:
    If you like small personal towns then bangors good. The teachers are very friendly always have time for you and make time for you but they also give you the right balance of independence. Bangor is small but there is a lot to do and everyone knows everyone, its pretty much a student town! Part time jobs are easy to get especially with the university. Everything is very accessible and its really useful on a night out plus its very cheap! Only down side is, theres alot of hills and walking involved unless you have a car!

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    I guess this is a different view to Caity on Bangor University. Bangor is a small city, so it is not worth taking a car as everything is within walking distance or the public transport is reliable if required. Most of the lecturers are really enthusiastic, but I only know what they're like in my school and not in others. Unfortunately, part time jobs aren't that easy to get because there are a lot of students all competing for the same jobs.

Bangor University have free sports clubs and societies, so if you get bored of one you aren't going to lose any money! The nightlife in Bangor is okay, it depends really on what you are looking for. There are two nightclubs, one of them being owned by the SU. However, there are a number of bars, pubs and restaurants in Bangor so it depends what time of atmosphere you're looking for.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.