Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Is the Union Jack racist? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Some very odd "anti-racism" campaigners have demanded that we "reflag" the Union Jack as the "Union Black", with special black stripes, as this will apparently make it less racist.

It's so idiotic I'm lost for words What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    It's not, just like the flag of England isn't.

ReputationRep:
    This looks like it relates to the work of a single person back in 2003, who thought it would better reflect the UK's multi-culturalism.

So it's not recent.

It's not the work of "anti-racism" campaigners.

And noone's claimed that the union flag was racist in the first place.

Your misrepresentation of the facts is the only thing here that might make me mad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    This looks like it relates to the work of a single person
    The BBC article describes it as a campaign.

And noone's claimed that the union flag was racist in the first place.
    And yet;

Mr Turner, who has called his campaign Reflag, believes his plan would reclaim the union jack from its negative associations, and silence that old skinhead chant: "There ain't no black in the union jack."

"If I flew the union jack from a flagpole in my garden, many people would see it as a racist statement," he says.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatthewParis)
    The BBC article describes it as a campaign.
    Not much of one.

If one of the top results when searching for your campaign is a discussion on Stormfront bleating about its existence, I think it's fair to say that the campaign's high point was somehow swindling a news article out of the BBC.

"If I flew the union jack from a flagpole in my garden, many people would see it as a racist statement," he says.
    Which might be true, but he still doesn't claim that he sees the flag as racist himself.

ReputationRep:
    The amount of people constantly pulling out the race card still shocks me :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    Of course it isn't racist.

ReputationRep:

I gave no warranty as to the size or the success of the campaign, I merely said that an anti-racism campaigner was seeking to replace the Union Jack with the Union Black. Thus far, nothing you've cited has disproved my OP

Which might be true, but he still doesn't claim that he sees the flag as racist himself.
    He said quite clearly it was perceived as a racist symbol, and therefore must be replaced
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    I gave no warranty as to the size or the success of the campaign, I merely said that an anti-racism campaigner was seeking to replace the Union Jack with the Union Black. Thus far, nothing you've cited has disproved my OP
    In which case all that I can say is that I don't understand why the claims or desires of a single person really matter? You could probably find someone who would claim to support almost any crack-pot scheme you could dream of, but that doesn't mean it's worth time of day.

He said quite clearly it was perceived as a racist symbol, and therefore must be replaced
    I'm sure that you could interpret what he says as such, but that's not how it comes across to me at all.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure that flags don't have the mental capability to hold opinions about race.

ReputationRep:
    It's the national flag.

But of course attaching emotions to it depends on use. People are rightly offended by the way it is used by racist groups as a symbol of exclusion. We fight that by using it as a symbol of inclusiveness too.

ReputationRep:
    It's just a flag.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Some very odd "anti-racism" campaigners have demanded that we "reflag" the Union Jack as the "Union Black", with special black stripes, as this will apparently make it less racist.

It's so idiotic I'm lost for words What do you think?

I'm slightly perplexed given that more white Europeans and Muslims come into the country than Africans so it does not even make that much sense.

But no, i think the British flag is actually one of the best looking in the world and even if Scotland went i'd want to keep it the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    But no, i think the British flag is actually one of the best looking in the world and even if Scotland went i'd want to keep it the same.
    I completely agree with you; the Union Jack has a marvellously crisp array of colours, lines and angles. It really is a most handsome standard, especially when you hold it up against most others in the world

ReputationRep:
    Whoever these 'campaigners' are, they can go and **** themselves

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it is racist people have a saying "there's no Black in the Union Jack"

ReputationRep:
    Well of course. Blue and red people in UK are hugely overrepresented in the Union Jack, so I think it's about time it gave some recognition to black people too.

ReputationRep:
    The Union Jack is a combination of three flags: The English Flag, The Scottish Flag and the Welsh flag. An African cannot be English, Scottish or Welsh as the English, Scottish and Welsh have been here for 9000 years.

Invasions:

10 000 Roman soldiers in a population of 1-3 million English, Scottish and Welsh people.

100 000 Vikings

A collection of Norman aristocrats.

5-10 million Africans and Asians in the last 60 years.

Poll
Would you rather
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.