Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Would it be acceptable for a more advanced species to slaughter us? Watch

ReputationRep:
    By more advanced I mean in the way that people would justify the farming of chickens by humans. If for some reason that form of advancement does not work for the thread title then please do answer the thread title for another form of advancement

ReputationRep:
    If anyone answers no, they are hypocrites

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awkwardshortguy)
    By more advanced I mean in the way that people would justify the farming of chickens by humans. If for some reason that form of advancement does not work for the thread title then please do answer the thread title for another form of advancement
    i think so yes, obviously we would object to it as chickens would object to dying for us and one day I'm not sure if in our lifetime but we will discover aliens or they will discover us if there friendly its all well and good if not, then we may end up getting farmed and slaughtered and all the meat eaters can us favourite argument of its just evolution were supposed to eat them and expect there death. I'm a veggie myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentLynch)
    i think so yes, obviously we would object to it as chickens would object to dying for us and one day I'm not sure if in our lifetime but we will discover aliens or they will discover us if there friendly its all well and good if not, then we may end up getting farmed and slaughtered and all the meat eaters can us favourite argument of its just evolution were supposed to eat them and expect there death. I'm a veggie myself
    High-five! I'm a vegan

ReputationRep:
    It's not a question of whether it's acceptable or not, it's a question of whether it would happen.

The answer is most likely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daydreamer4life)
    If anyone answers no, they are hypocrites
    Incorrect, if they were killing us for food, then yes it would be acceptable, but if they were killing us for sport, im sure most people are against mindlessly killing even lesser species (for example the attempted ban on fox hunting).

As humans, our moral code is based on an understanding that our arm swing ends at the next mans nose (treat others as you would like to be treated). So as humans, sport killing is generally never accepted, although that changes when its food.

If it was for food, acceptable.
    If not, no.
    (I can only judge by going by my own moral code that has a general consensus between most humans)

ReputationRep:
    No. Why? Because we as humans are selfish and hypocritical so we can slaughter chickens for food but it is not acceptable another species to do the same to us. Humans matter more. Haters gonna hate. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Best of Luck)
    Incorrect, if they were killing us for food, then yes it would be acceptable, but if they were killing us for sport, im sure most people are against mindlessly killing even lesser species (for example the attempted ban on fox hunting).

As humans, our moral code is based on an understanding that our arm swing ends at the next mans nose (treat others as you would like to be treated). So as humans, sport killing is generally never accepted, although that changes when its food.

If not, no.
    (I can only judge by going by my own moral code that has a general consensus between most humans)

So if they do not need to eat us it's okay for them to eat us if they prefer our taste to the alternatives?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Smurf)
    No. Why? Because we as humans are selfish and hypocritical so we can slaughter chickens for food but it is not acceptable another species to do the same to us. Humans matter more. Haters gonna hate. :cool:
    Are we all selfish and hypocritical?

ReputationRep:
    For us it isn't acceptable, for the aliens it might be. Then again is it acceptable for chickens to eat insects, I don't think insects would agree with it (although insects probably aren't the main part of a chickens diet lolz)

ReputationRep:
    Of course humans wouldn't say it is acceptable. And the only way it would happen is if this advanced species had complete power over humans.

Look at the holocaust. The Nazis treated people they deemed inferior like how humans treat farm animals just now.

The holocaust happens to livestock everyday. People get offended by that statement for some reason even though it is the truth.

ReputationRep:
    Humans are more advanced to put up a fuss and realise what was about to happen if it was going to happen, chickens i doubt know that they're being killed by us for food!

ReputationRep:
    yes but we shall put up one hell of a fight!

ReputationRep:
    By definition yes, however also by definition we'de never be able to know why they are doing it and it would always look unjustifiable to us.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Whether it be acceptable is somewhat irrelevant.

It's more likely the situation would be akin to the British Empire and Africa around 1700. The British (aliens) find a vastly inferior world with resources they wanted and because of the technology gap saw no reason to offer a trade, but simply to take what they wanted.

This assumes the aliens would not be on a power trip and rule us as their subjects simply to expand their empire.

The real question is what we will do in that situation. I have no doubt that given the technology, the human race would act far more like a Klingon Empire than a Federation.

ReputationRep:
    So if they do not need to eat us it's okay for them to eat us if they prefer our taste to the alternatives?
    Yep I would say so

ReputationRep:
    Depends how the communication works between them. If they communicate in a more advanced way (by advanced I mean in a way that I see it as there isn't really a 'better' way of communicating other than my opinion of what is 'better' to me) like through telepathy and we couldn't really stop them / voice how we thought then yes I suppose?

Assuming this is an alien race though, not a human one.

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily. If they're more advanced, then they are more complex than us. Just because 'we' would, doesn't mean a higher being would too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Best of Luck)

If not, no.
    We kill many things that are not for food or sport. For example, we kill elephants for their tusks which is used in the production of ivory. I'm sure a superior species would find a use for us. Such as slavery, or harvesting something that they see fit to be harvested.

Survival of the fittest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaney96)
    We kill many things that are not for food or sport. For example, we kill elephants for their tusks which is used in the production of ivory. I'm sure a superior species would find a use for us. Such as slavery, or harvesting something that they see fit to be harvested.

Survival of the fittest.
    As I said before "I can only judge by going by my own moral code that has a general consensus between most humans"
    On a whole, we don't accept these kind of practices as acceptable. But you do get into the debate of whether it is only acceptable if the species is sustainable, as there is protection for elephants ivory alot moreso than cows leather. So you raise an interesting point.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.