Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Would it be acceptable for a more advanced species to slaughter us? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Whether or not we accept it is inconsequential.

You can stand there and cry "I don't accept this" , but they will obliterate you and they will annihilate you.

That's the truth.

ReputationRep:
    Why would they have to be more advanced?

Just being hungrier would be enough.

ReputationRep:
    I mean, if a more advanced species came and started slaughtering us, I would find that unacceptable. They on the other hand probably would due to their actions. These sort of rules are written by the winners and the most powerful.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I don't think it would be acceptable. If anything it would be more unacceptable, because if they were more advanced, then they ought to know better.

ReputationRep:
    this was referenced in Mr Wells' excellent book The Time Machine. also in Mr Mitchell's splendid novel Cloud Atlas.

ReputationRep:
    I would say no. The reason why it is commonly argued it is ok to kill animals is that they (or at least most of them) are thought to lack self awareness, and so do not value their own existence. Regardless of how advanced another being may be the fact humans are self aware gives their life moral value. Perhaps a higher being would have more value, but it doesn't make us expendable in the same way animals are.

ReputationRep:
    It clearly wouldn't be acceptable to us, but we'd probably have no say in the matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richard_pullan)
    Humans are more advanced to put up a fuss and realise what was about to happen if it was going to happen, chickens i doubt know that they're being killed by us for food!
    If their technology is sufficiently advanced then we may be just as powerless to them as chickens are to us.

ReputationRep:
    No, it wouldn't be acceptable if they had alternative food sources which met their nutritional needs.

Similarly, it isn't acceptable for humans to slaughter and inflict suffering upon nonhuman animals seeing as it is unnecessary; we can obtain all the nutrients we require from alternative sources.

Neither humans nor a hypothetical advanced alien species can claim to be enlightened and advanced when they continue to unnecessarily consume the flesh of other sentient beings.

ReputationRep:
    The question is, what would they be capable of that we are not

ReputationRep:
    No, it would not be acceptable, just as it isn't acceptable for humans to slaughter chimpanzees or bottlenose dolphins or elephants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    It's more likely the situation would be akin to the British Empire and Africa around 1700. The British (aliens) find a vastly inferior world with resources they wanted and because of the technology gap saw no reason to offer a trade, but simply to take what they wanted.
    Outside context problem :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awkwardshortguy)
    By more advanced I mean in the way that people would justify the farming of chickens by humans. If for some reason that form of advancement does not work for the thread title then please do answer the thread title for another form of advancement
    Can't see how they would be intelligent if they slaughtered us, though we are prime target for an invasion (alien or otherwise) and overthrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NHM713)
    Can't see how they would be intelligent if they slaughtered us, though we are prime target for an invasion (alien or otherwise) and overthrow.
    Why not? Humans are meant to be somewhat intelligent yet we as a species slaughter other animal species as part of the largest industry on planet Earth.

ReputationRep:
    Why not? Humans are meant to be somewhat intelligent yet we as a species slaughter other animal species as part of the largest industry on planet Earth.
    We are intelligent, but, there is a miss wiring. I saw an article recently and the heading was, human 'new strain of fact restraint humans' aka as we're getting dumber.

ReputationRep:
    We are intelligent, but, there is a miss wiring. I saw an article recently and the heading was, human 'new strain of fact restraint humans' aka as we're getting dumber.
    I can't find that article but it sure sounds like an interesting read. Where did you find it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exon)
    It's not a question of whether it's acceptable or not, it's a question of whether it would happen.

The answer is most likely.
    I think they're both legitimate questions to ask.

ReputationRep:
    I can't find that article but it sure sounds like an interesting read. Where did you find it?
    On Facebook, I'm should there are loads, if you google it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    When people say that humans are intelligent it's still worth noting that less than 10% of humans are the people who innovate and less than half are needed for the relevant production. This means that half our species is put to use in clothes shops or not at all ect.. and are essentially surplus humans.

I mean, if Africa were wiped out tomorrow.. bar their clothes costing a pound more nobody would notice because they have near no material impact on the world... surplus humans.

ReputationRep:
    It is not our ability to farm and eat chickens which makes us more advanced than them; that is just physical strength.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.