Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Is Physics at Warwick good enough for front office roles? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have an offer for physics at Warwick and i know Warwick is a target university but does doing a course that isnt finance related like physics put me at an advantage compared to someone who did economics or accounting and finance? And the fact that Warwick is not in london is that a bad thing in terms of employability and do the banks favour guys from LSE,UCL and imperial more because i really want to work in a london bank.
    All answers are appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AwaisAli)
    I have an offer for physics at Warwick and i know Warwick is a target university but does doing a course that isnt finance related like physics put me at an advantage compared to someone who did economics or accounting and finance? And the fact that Warwick is not in london is that a bad thing in terms of employability and do the banks favour guys from LSE,UCL and imperial more because i really want to work in a london bank.
    Won't make any difference at all. Go study physics at Warwick

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever done any financial mathematics? It is largely taken from physics. For any quant role in IB, physics is the ideal undergraduate course.

ReputationRep:
    That makes sense thank you. And regarding the location of Warwick would it put me at a disadvantage if my uni is not in london?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That makes sense thank you. And regarding the location of Warwick would it put me at a disadvantage if my uni is not in london?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, its a disadvantage. In one year at UCL I've had guest lecturers that include head of risk from Nomura, operational risk modelling team from Barclays, Head of UK risk for Santander, Partners from PWC and EY, hedge fund managers, BofE, FCA. I could go on. I don't think you could get these kind of things outside of london.

However, whats most likely to get you a job is your ability and passion, so I don't think that should get you down too much.

ReputationRep:
    Yes i understand that target universities in London enjoy more lectures but does that make it harder for me to get a job in London? Because my family lives in London and working in a bank in coventry is not an option for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes i understand that target universities in London enjoy more lectures but does that make it harder for me to get a job in London? Because my family lives in London and working in a bank in coventry is not an option for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It makes in harder in the sense that you don't have access to those people so you don't pick up on trends in the financial sector that are being talked about, you have less opportunity to network, its more effort to travel back and forth to interviews etc.

But in reality, a solid mathematical background from a strong uni is the most important thing in my opinion. You aren't going to get turned away just because you aren't living in London. Banks want the best and brightest. If thats you, then the rest isn't really relevant.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot and i think i will try to transfer to UCL physics in the second year as i don't think i can survive 3 years in coventry no matter how great Warwick is 😓

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot and i think i will try to transfer to UCL physics in the second year as i don't think i can survive 3 years in coventry no matter how great Warwick is 😓

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's not a good idea, it would be a waste to go to Warwick for a year if you know you want to drop out. Where else do you have offers for? Can you take a gap year and reapply?

ReputationRep:
    No im just considering it Warwick is better for physics than UCL anyway my offer is A*AA while my friend got a offer from UCL physics for AAB so i "might" transfer for the sake of going to London and not because of academic reasons and thats if i get the opportunity to and thats a big "if" and i think i was just exaggerating there im sure i will be fine for 3 years outside London😂.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.