Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Which subject should I take as my fifth A-Level? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm going to start my A-Levels in September (Distance Learning) and I want to take five subjects.

I'm sure about:
    1. History - Linear
    2. Economics - Linear
    3. Philosophy - AS+A2
    4. Government & Politics - AS+A2

But I'm having trouble deciding my fifth subject which one should I take between:

English Lit - Linear
    Classical Civilisation - AS+A2
    Geography - AS+A2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElisaR)
    Hi, I'm going to start my A-Levels in September (Distance Learning) and I want to take five subjects.

I'm sure about:
    1. History - Linear
    2. Economics - Linear
    3. Philosophy - AS+A2
    4. Government & Politics - AS+A2

But I'm having trouble deciding my fifth subject which one should I take between:

English Lit - Linear
    Classical Civilisation - AS+A2
    Geography - AS+A2
    What do you intend to do afterwards?

ReputationRep:
    Would suggest Geography but it depends how good your colouring-in skills are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josh_v)
    What do you intend to do afterwards?
    Law

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vela1)
    Would suggest Geography but it depends how good your colouring-in skills are.
    OMG...You're so funny!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElisaR)
    Law
    I guess by your 5th A level it doesn't make too much difference. Just go with whatever interests you. Why do you think its better to take a 5th rather than putting 25% more time in to the original 4 you have already chosen.

ReputationRep:
    I guess by your 5th A level it doesn't make too much difference. Just go with whatever interests you. Why do you think its better to take a 5th rather than putting 25% more time in to the original 4 you have already chosen.
    Because I only did five subjects (fast-track) at iGCSE (I don't live in England and I had many reasons for doing so) so I was trying to compensate the lack of iGCSEs subjects through A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    You mean 20 percent extra time.

time spent over 5 subjects per subject = 100/5 = 20%.
    by dropping 1 subject, you gain an extra 5% to give to each subject (20/4), meaning you now spend 25% of your time on each subject, but the increase is 1/5 (or 20%).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hockham jaynsaw)
    You mean 20 percent extra time.

time spent over 5 subjects per subject = 100/5 = 20%.
    by dropping 1 subject, you an extra 5% to give to each subject (20/4), meaning you now spend 25% of your time on each subject, but the increase is 1/5 (or 20%).
    For simplicity, imagine you study 5 hours a day. If you study 5 subjects, you have 1 hour per subject per day. Now remove one of those subjects and redistribute that hour to the other 4 subjects. Thats an additional 15 minutes per subject. The time spent per subject has increased from 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes. Thats a 25% increase.

ReputationRep:
    For simplicity, imagine you study 5 hours a day. If you study 5 subjects, you have 1 hour per subject per day. Now remove one of those subjects and redistribute that hour to the other 4 subjects. Thats an additional 15 minutes per subject. The time spent per subject has increased from 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes. Thats a 25% increase.
    5 hours / 5 subject = 1 hour per subject
    5 hours / 4 subjects = 1.25 hours.
    25% increase.

5 hours / 5 subjects = 1 hour per subject
    1 hour to spread over the remaining 4.
    1/5 = 20% increase.

So per subject it's a 25% increase but your net time increases by 20%? Is that correct? maths at 1:41 not good!

ReputationRep:
    5 hours / 5 subject = 1 hour per subject
    5 hours / 4 hours a day = 1.25 hours.
    25% increase.

5 hours / 5 subjects = 1 hour per subject
    1 hour to spread over the remaining 4.
    1/5 = 20% increase.

So per subject it's a 25% increase but your net time increases by 20%? Is that correct? maths at 1:41 not good!
    Net time remains constant at 5 hours. I don't really understand your confusion if I'm honest.

ReputationRep:
    Net time remains constant at 5 hours. I don't really understand your confusion if I'm honest.
    Well lets say you study english, maths, physics, chemistry and history. 1 hour each during AS per subject
    You flunk the english exam and so drop it at a2 but use the same amount of your time to study for the remaining 4 subjects. you have an extra hour out of the 5 to play around with. Why isn't this a 20% increase in time to revise for the other 4 subjects? That seems intuitively correct to me.

ReputationRep:
    Well lets say you study english, maths, physics, chemistry and history. 1 hour each during AS per subject
    You flunk the english exam and so drop it at a2 but use the same amount of your time to study for the remaining 4 subjects. you have an extra hour out of the 5 to play around with. Why isn't this a 20% increase in time to revise? That seems intuitively correct to me.
    Your time to revise remains constant. Whatever way you look at it, you revise for 5 hours. There is no increase in total available time, only in time you can spend on each subject.

ReputationRep:
    Your time to revise remains constant. Whatever way you look at it, you revise for 5 hours. There is no increase in total available time, only in time you can spend on each subject.
    No, you're correct that the time is still 5 hours. That's not my confusion.

If your maximum capacity for revision is 5 hours a day, then for 5 subjects you have 1 hour x 5, right? for 4 subjects, you have 1 hour x 4 + 1 hour left over.
    Now, that 1 extra hour out of the 5 is 20%. An extra 20% to spend on 4 subjects that you wouldn't have had if you'd studied 5. Doesn't that mean that if you decide to study 4 over 5 subjects, you have an extra 20% of revision time?

ReputationRep:
    No, you're correct that the time is still 5 hours. That's not my confusion.

If your maximum capacity for revision is 5 hours a day, then for 5 subjects you have 1 hour x 5, right? for 4 subjects, you have 1 hour x 4 + 1 hour left over.
    Now, that 1 extra hour out of the 5 is 20%. An extra 20% to spend on 4 subjects that you wouldn't have had if you'd studied 5. Doesn't that mean that if you decide to study 4 over 5 subjects, you have an extra 20% of revision time?
    Yes. You free up 20% of your time (1hour) and divide that by 4 other topics (which you already study for 1 hour each) hence you can study each topic for an additional 25% of the time. 1 hour + (1hour/4) = 1 hour 15 minutes. Thats an increase of 25% per subject.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. You free up 20% of your time (1hour) and divide that by 4 other topics (which you already study for 1 hour each) hence you can study each topic for an additional 25% of the time. 1 hour + (1hour/4) = 1 hour 15 minutes. Thats an increase of 25% per subject.
    Yes. So as I tried to say before. You have a overall gain of 20% revision time over the 4 subjects, but 25% per subject. That was what I was trying to say.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. So as I tried to say before. You have a overall gain of 20% revision time over the 4 subjects, but 25% per subject. That was what I was trying to say.
    No. Originally I said you increase your time on each subject by 25%. You said I was incorrect and that you increase your time by 20%.

ReputationRep:
    No. Originally I said you increase your time on each subject by 25%. You said I was incorrect and that you increase your time by 20%.
    'Why do you think its better to take a 5th rather than putting 25% more time in to the original 4 you have already chosen.'

To me, that doesn't read like 'per subject', which is why I disputed it. Just an error in communication.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.