The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Media Production

Hey, was just checking if anyone on TSR is doing Media Production too :smile:
Or if any current students can give their review?
Original post by Adam Curd
Hey, was just checking if anyone on TSR is doing Media Production too :smile:
Or if any current students can give their review?

Hi Adamcurd,

I am currently at Bournemouth studying Television Production, although not the same course, we do very similar things! In my first semester we shared a lot of theory lectures and usually have essays due at the same time, although the questions will vary.

I know people on the course at the moment and they seem to love it. It's a bit of everything, so your get to write scripts and learn digital, radio and film. On the course you also have the option to do either a 4 week work placement or a year placement which means your leave university with not only a degree but also the experience to go along with it.

The media school at Bournemouth is also great! There's are two TV studios, radio studios, journalism studios and editing suites. As well as this, there is also a kit room based on the ground floor, which allows you to book out the latest equipment. We also have lot's of guest lectures from the industry that come in and visit.

As well as this, there's always thing to get involved with at the media school. Just last week we done a 12 hour live coverage of the election which was such an experience. Because there is always stuff going on, there is great atmosphere... I'm sure your going to love it!

If you have any more questions feel free to ask :smile:
Gemma :biggrin:
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Reply 2
Ah fantastic! I was getting a little bit nervous not being able to find anything on them, is it mostly theory or mostly practical? I'm hoping for mostly practical :smile:
Original post by Adam Curd
Ah fantastic! I was getting a little bit nervous not being able to find anything on them, is it mostly theory or mostly practical? I'm hoping for mostly practical :smile:

Hi Adam Curd,

It is definitely more practical than theory. For this year I've only submitted three essays and we only had one or two lectures and one seminar a week on theory. This was also good news to me, I much prefer practical work :biggrin:

Gemma :smile:
Original post by GemmaJewell2
Hi Adam Curd,

It is definitely more practical than theory. For this year I've only submitted three essays and we only had one or two lectures and one seminar a week on theory. This was also good news to me, I much prefer practical work :biggrin:

Hi Gemma, would it be possible for you to give a brief summary about the experience of media production at BU? high points, low points, tips, warnings or things to do or not to do? thanks :smile:
Original post by stevebcfc
Hi Gemma, would it be possible for you to give a brief summary about the experience of media production at BU? high points, low points, tips, warnings or things to do or not to do? thanks :smile:

Hi Stevebcfc,

As I do television production, I don't know the in's and out of media production but if you follow this link (you may have already read it!) it tells you a brief description of the units your be doing: http://courses.bournemouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-degree/media-production/ba-hons/3560/course_content-course_content/

Developing arguments is the unit both my course and your course share and this is the theory one. In total this year we wrote three essays; you attend the lectures and learn different theories then when the essay is given, you usually go on to make your own question, exploring and applying the readings and theories you are learning. Tip.. the reading list is actually really helpful when it comes to finding books for your essay!

As I am more of a practical person, I would say 'low' points usually are the times when the essay deadline is coming up and trying to find the motivation to get stuck in to it. But like I said we only done 3 in our first year so its all very manageable!

Highlights for me would definitely be the amount of practical work there is. Slightly feels like we are on The Apprentice (Love that programme!) sometimes as we are in different groups and given briefs. We then go off and have lots of production meetings and develop the idea before going off and making it. At the end, its always nice to watch other groups work and see how well everyone else done. Unlike the Apprentice no one is fired (Luckily!).

Depending on what part of the media your into I would suggest joining a group outside your course. There is Jump TV and Nerve Media. I have friends that did Jump TV and they got to get involved with lots of cool filming stuff. I regret not joining at the beginning on the year!

The media school is awesome though, cool building with lots of facilities. I'm sure you will love the course :biggrin:

thank you! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by GemmaJewell2
Hi Stevebcfc,

As I do television production, I don't know the in's and out of media production but if you follow this link (you may have already read it!) it tells you a brief description of the units your be doing: http://courses.bournemouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-degree/media-production/ba-hons/3560/course_content-course_content/

Developing arguments is the unit both my course and your course share and this is the theory one. In total this year we wrote three essays; you attend the lectures and learn different theories then when the essay is given, you usually go on to make your own question, exploring and applying the readings and theories you are learning. Tip.. the reading list is actually really helpful when it comes to finding books for your essay!

As I am more of a practical person, I would say 'low' points usually are the times when the essay deadline is coming up and trying to find the motivation to get stuck in to it. But like I said we only done 3 in our first year so its all very manageable!

Highlights for me would definitely be the amount of practical work there is. Slightly feels like we are on The Apprentice (Love that programme!) sometimes as we are in different groups and given briefs. We then go off and have lots of production meetings and develop the idea before going off and making it. At the end, its always nice to watch other groups work and see how well everyone else done. Unlike the Apprentice no one is fired (Luckily!).

Depending on what part of the media your into I would suggest joining a group outside your course. There is Jump TV and Nerve Media. I have friends that did Jump TV and they got to get involved with lots of cool filming stuff. I regret not joining at the beginning on the year!

The media school is awesome though, cool building with lots of facilities. I'm sure you will love the course :biggrin:

Thanks Gemma, that was really helpful :smile:
Hey,

Just came across this post looking for something else, but I'm going into my 3rd year on the BAMP course.

I was part of the 1st year taking in so it was a little unorganized but hopefully with 2 years gone they'll be a bit more on it! There isn't quite as much practical stuff as the BATV course but we do stuff apart from filming, such as audio production and a unit on web design.

The first year does aim to give a good basic understanding though, and overall I found it really enjoyable :smile: You will be making documentary shorts, writing your own short script, and taking part in the developing arguments unit that Gemma spoke about above. You will also be making an audio ad, an audio package and some kind of web design/coding (theyve changed the unit slightly i think) and we have a separate theory unit for the second semester from the rest of the MP framework.

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending