Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

So what do you all think about having a newly elected Tory Gov? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Seen as it is a talking point all over the media in the UK right now....what do you all think?

I have a preconceived notion as to how many may react...though, content on here always surprises me.

Personally, for me, I am utterly disappointed. I've always been very anti-tory, which may be because I live in the "north" or perhaps just because my family have never really supported them, and additionally, they've never really represented what I would call the working classes.

If I'm honest, it has upset me, probably more deeply than it should, and although I shouldn't condone or empathise with the rioters in London, I kind of do. I guess, it all boils down to the sheer compassion people have for each other (particularly among the poorer/vulnerable), under a nasty, cruel Conservative gov.

To me, those people that rioted in London were people that were desperate, and really didn't want a Tory majority (due to many reasons), and I'm guessing they didn't vote Tory either. Nor did I. I actually voted Green, even though that party doesn't best align with my views.

As far as I am concerned, it was about voting for the best of a bad bunch.

I just find it ridiculous that the Conservatives want to scrap the Human Rights Act, and do all these insane things just to have their own way, and secure their position as the elite governing few. Its' almost like bullying,- 'lets remove the HRA so that when those poor peasants do complain they don't have the provisions of the Human Rights Act to fall back on".

Not to mention 'deep' cuts to the welfare system that are extremely harsh. Yes of course, there are benefits 'scroungers' in this country, like many others. But of course there are genuine claimants. These genuine and vulnerable portions of our population will be swept up and brushed under the rug and left with no finance for much needed medications, support for healthcare, and in some cases permanent incapacity funds, and ultimately will be left to rot away.

I understand the tories believe in austerity-- but this is beyond stupid!

I truly feel sorry for our society. I really really do. This isn't democracy-- this spits in the face of it all. People on social media have been ranting (particularly pro-conservatives), saying "well you dont like democracy [in its current system] leave the country". Personally don't see why I or anybody else should.

All these breaking headlines and news articles about what the Tories have in store for the nation, are frightening me- genuinely.

What are your thoughts??

ReputationRep:
    best thing since sliced bread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    best thing since sliced bread.
    Is this a serious comment or purely sarcasm?

ReputationRep:
    Why did you vote for a party that doesn't best align with your views?

Why do you think this "spits in the face of democracy"?

I think you believe far too much of the Labour spin machine. If they were right and the Conservatives were wrong, why didn't more people vote for them?

ReputationRep:
    happy.

I have never been heavily tory or labour - and personally I can see huge benifits in a 2 party system that alternates between two ideologies.. one side that supports more social issues, and the other that supports more buisness issues - Its seved us very well over the past century.

I am very happy for the conservatives to get another 5 years, keep the ecconomy on track, keep buisness flowing, keep unemployment falling..

Then give it back to labour for a bit..

Repeat.

- I know most people hate this idea, as they are firmly in 1 catagory, and will never change.

But taking away your bias, and looking at our history as a country over the past century and a half, and I think our alternating 2(/3) party system has been a positive thing, and the alternation between core beliefs works well

--

I think labour needs another 5 years to get ready to govern again.. edd just was not a strong enough leader, and they still had too many high-profile people who are assosiated with the problems of their last goverment.

Give them 5 more years, a stronger leader, more sepperation from their previous time in goverment, and a stronger election bid, and then they will be a decent alternative to the conservatives again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by royal1990)
    Is this a serious comment or purely sarcasm?
    serious brah, what's wrong with the conservative party in essence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)

I think you believe far too much of the Labour spin machine. If they were right and the Conservatives were wrong, why didn't more people vote for them?
    Because the public were afraid of the disastrous outcome of a labour-snp coalition that would drive the country into the ground.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xctv)
    Because the public were afraid of the disastrous outcome of a labour-snp coalition that would drive the country into the ground.
    So the public didn't believe Miliband when he said there'd be no deals with the SNP? Despite wanting to vote for him they couldn't trust him? Is that what you're saying?

ReputationRep:

Because really and actually, none of them do. Green was the most representative for me. But in the wider scheme of things I have alternative views.

I believe in social equality, and take a very 'Marxist' view on the world anyways. I think that if political parties evened out the injustice inherent in our society. Then eventually we will all be equal.

I think that the "democracy" that we believe is "democracy" in this country is a farce. I don't think we really know what it is. I don't think that true fairness and transparency can ever be achieved in such a democracy.

I take your last point into consideration-- I may have fallen foul to the so called labour spin machine you claim, however, I've never really liked the Tories...for as far back as I can remember. I don't even think my Mother has voted for them.

ReputationRep:
    So the public didn't believe Miliband when he said there'd be no deals with the SNP? Despite wanting to vote for him they couldn't trust him? Is that what you're saying?
    Miliband says a lot of things, and I'm sure he would take the 56 seats from the snp to get into No.10 if it was the only way he could form a government regardless of what he promised.

ReputationRep:
    I take your last point into consideration-- I may have fallen foul to the so called labour spin machine you claim, however, I've never really liked the Tories...for as far back as I can remember. I don't even think my Mother has voted for them.
    I'm not trying to start an argument - I'm genuinely intrigued - did you not vote for the Tories because your mother didn't? Did you make up your own mind objectively or just fall into line with those around you?

ReputationRep:
    It's wonderful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xctv)
    Miliband says a lot of things, and I'm sure he would take the 56 seats from the snp to get into No.10 if it was the only way he could form a government regardless of what he promised.
    Well if you can't trust him to keep his word of less than a week he's clearly not fit to be PM. Fortunately events proved that.

Even with an extra 56 seats he would still have been a long way short of a majority.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not trying to start an argument - I'm genuinely intrigued - did you not vote for the Tories because your mother didn't? Did you make up your own mind objectively or just fall into line with those around you?
    I voted out of personal preference- objectively. In fact, I retract that statement, I believe my Mother did vote Conservative a few times, but surprisingly, this was in the 1980's under Thatchers reign. I do recall, her saying that Thatcher had provided under-represented areas with provisions to build more council houses/or to make them more affordable.

However, as stated earlier, I actually genuinely do not favour the Conservatives policies. I think as someone else mentioned earlier, whilst a Coalition gov many have some tensions within- it is sometimes good to get the best of both parties.

In terms of my voting preference- I voted Green because I am in favour of the abolition of tution fees at university. Even though I graduate this year, I feel very strongly about education, and I feel that it should be free at all levels. I don't think access to education should be stifled by increasing tuition fees. Whilst some may argue it makes the system more resourceful and takes the strain from the gov subsidising fees, I feel that with the increasing cost of tuition it puts people off- purely and simply.

I feel that education and healthcare amongst all other things should be the focus of government to try and minimise or make free (if possible).

ReputationRep:
    Well if you can't trust him to keep his word of less than a week he's clearly not fit to be PM. Fortunately events proved that.

Even with an extra 56 seats he would still have been a long way short of a majority.
    Exactly, because if he had got more seats from the Tories it would be possible for them to form a coalition, with the Tories only viable option for a coalition being the dup and lib dems with only 8 seats each; if people trusted milband he would be sitting in parliament now.

ReputationRep:
    The perfect result really, would have been nice if there was a more comfortable majority but that's just being greedy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Seen as it is a talking point all over the media in the UK right now....what do you all think?

I have a preconceived notion as to how many may react...though, content on here always surprises me.

Personally, for me, I am utterly disappointed. I've always been very anti-tory, which may be because I live in the "north" or perhaps just because my family have never really supported them, and additionally, they've never really represented what I would call the working classes.

If I'm honest, it has upset me, probably more deeply than it should, and although I shouldn't condone or empathise with the rioters in London, I kind of do. I guess, it all boils down to the sheer compassion people have for each other (particularly among the poorer/vulnerable), under a nasty, cruel Conservative gov.

To me, those people that rioted in London were people that were desperate, and really didn't want a Tory majority (due to many reasons), and I'm guessing they didn't vote Tory either. Nor did I. I actually voted Green, even though that party doesn't best align with my views.

As far as I am concerned, it was about voting for the best of a bad bunch.

I just find it ridiculous that the Conservatives want to scrap the Human Rights Act, and do all these insane things just to have their own way, and secure their position as the elite governing few. Its' almost like bullying,- 'lets remove the HRA so that when those poor peasants do complain they don't have the provisions of the Human Rights Act to fall back on".

Not to mention 'deep' cuts to the welfare system that are extremely harsh. Yes of course, there are benefits 'scroungers' in this country, like many others. But of course there are genuine claimants. These genuine and vulnerable portions of our population will be swept up and brushed under the rug and left with no finance for much needed medications, support for healthcare, and in some cases permanent incapacity funds, and ultimately will be left to rot away.

I understand the tories believe in austerity-- but this is beyond stupid!

I truly feel sorry for our society. I really really do. This isn't democracy-- this spits in the face of it all. People on social media have been ranting (particularly pro-conservatives), saying "well you dont like democracy [in its current system] leave the country". Personally don't see why I or anybody else should.

All these breaking headlines and news articles about what the Tories have in store for the nation, are frightening me- genuinely.

What are your thoughts??
    my mood soared over the weekend... i still have not come down yet ! what a wonderful wonderful surprise.

:borat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    happy.

I have never been heavily tory or labour - and personally I can see huge benifits in a 2 party system that alternates between two ideologies.. one side that supports more social issues, and the other that supports more buisness issues - Its seved us very well over the past century.

I am very happy for the conservatives to get another 5 years, keep the ecconomy on track, keep buisness flowing, keep unemployment falling..

Then give it back to labour for a bit..

Repeat.

- I know most people hate this idea, as they are firmly in 1 catagory, and will never change.

But taking away your bias, and looking at our history as a country over the past century and a half, and I think our alternating 2(/3) party system has been a positive thing, and the alternation between core beliefs works well

--

I think labour needs another 5 years to get ready to govern again.. edd just was not a strong enough leader, and they still had too many high-profile people who are assosiated with the problems of their last goverment.

Give them 5 more years, a stronger leader, more sepperation from their previous time in goverment, and a stronger election bid, and then they will be a decent alternative to the conservatives again
    Sounds like you're a lib-dem to me...

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't have hoped for a better result.

ReputationRep:
    Why do people have this idiotic misconception that leaving the HRA means we will have no rights?

It's a silly idea; but that's only because it will be replaced with an almost identical document that will be used in an almost identical way (since we'll remain under ECHR and thus will still be judged by EctHR).

It's pretty much pointless; save for appealing to eurosceptics, but conversely has somehow allowed this daft and damaging idea that OP presented.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.