Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

You get propelled back in time to 1590. How do you survive? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I would mess with the time-space continuum by trying to access the internet before it was invented.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mochassassin)
    That's no fun with my RP-ish accent, love of ballgowns and love of Renaissance court intrigue.
    An RP accent would be alien to them as as we can see from Shakespeare's plays people back then spoke like uncanny valley Irishmen

(Original post by scrotgrot)
    An RP accent would be alien to them as as we can see from Shakespeare's plays people back then spoke like uncanny valley Irishmen
    Oh crap, you're right! I can do an okay-ish Irish accent, could I get away with it? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    You are walking down a quiet alleyway in central London. Suddenly, a wormhole randomly opens and propels you back in time to 1590. Elizabeth I is on the throne and you are in Tudor London.

You are in your modern clothes and have on you what you take around with you most days (phone, purse or wallet, etc.)

How do you survive? Do you tell people the truth and hope you're not accused of witchcraft? Do you discard all your modern goods and try to blend in and adapt to this new life?

There is no chance of a further wormhole opening.
    For a start, you wouldnt be able to communicate, the english spoken in 1950 was so different to the one spoken now as to be unrecognisable..

Secondly, youd have no money, even if you had a pocket full of change the metal is modern mixtures of trash, even melted down it would be worthless.

Thirdly, you have no skills with which to survive in 1590, you cant hunt, clean food, chances are you havent a clue about farming and even less about foraging. I doubt you have a trade that you can live off.

Fourthly, youd be dead within a week.

(Original post by rohanm98)
    Wizard or warlock depending which would be sci fi writer you ask
    Its witch or warlock. But warlock is a term only used by other witches. Its describes a traiter, someone who sold out thier own kind to witch hunters.

(Original post by Meyrin)
    Dress up and present myself as a man, "invent" and sell thousands of products that haven't yet been created, get rich, buy a castle by the sea away from the disease-ridden cities and live comfortably (...as is possible Elizabethan England), have several torrid affairs with aristocrats and became a historical legend whose gender/ true identity is debated by scholars for centuries to come.
    Like what? Name one modern day implement that you can reverse engineer completely and then have the know how to reproduce it in order to sell it within the constraints of 1590 technology. An item that is not already in use in that time period AND wont get you arrested for some kind of heresy.

Oh crap, you're right! I can do an okay-ish Irish accent, could I get away with it? :cool:
    No for the language reasons see above.

How would I survive? I'd probably have to join a brothel :erm:

(Original post by silverbolt)
    For a start, you wouldnt be able to communicate, the english spoken in 1950 was so different to the one spoken now as to be unrecognisable..

No for the language reasons see above.
    I thought they spoke 'early modern English' in the late 16th/early 17th century?!

(Original post by Maid Marian)
    How would I survive? I'd probably have to join a brothel :erm:
    I was thinking the exact same but I didn't want to be the first person to say it...:ashamed2:

I was thinking the exact same but I didn't want to be the first person to say it...:ashamed2:
    Was I the first to say it? :lol: I didn't read the thread lol

It's the only realistic way I can think of in which I could survive

Was I the first to say it? :lol: I didn't read the thread lol

It's the only realistic way I can think of in which I could survive
    I think so, haha!
    You're right. I'm such a prude though, I think I'd fare better being a madam instead of doing the whorin' myself.

ReputationRep:
    i would warn them of the rise of a faction of ne'erdowells who wish to give the Queen's Treasure to wastrels and crossing-sweepers. the leader is one with two kitchens in the village of Isledon in the county of Middle-sex.

ReputationRep:
    I would begin by informing the world of a great evil on the horizon, one that we must be prepared for.

Hopefully I'll be in time to stop Mr and Mrs Beiber from procreating.

I think so, haha!
    You're right. I'm such a prude though, I think I'd fare better being a madam instead of doing the whorin' myself.
    What's a madam? :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I would probably just end up getting done for witchcraft after I had finished freaking out

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's a madam? :ninja:
    The woman who runs the brothel and doesn't (need to) do the :hump:-ing.

The woman who runs the brothel and doesn't (need to) do the :hump:-ing.
    Oh true. But remember, we're in no position to start running our own brothels yet if we've just landed in 1590

Oh true. But remember, we're in no position to start running our own brothels yet if we've just landed in 1590
    Don't worry, Maid Marian, I'll find a way...it'll involve some thievery, sweet-talking and using our female guile to the fullest, if you're up for it. We could run it together.

Don't worry, Maid Marian, I'll find a way...it'll involve some thievery, sweet-talking and using our female guile to the fullest, if you're up for it. We could run it together.
    I'm no thief! :noway:

Alright then, whatever it takes

I'm no thief! :noway:

Alright then, whatever it takes
    It's the only way we'd survive, unless you want to go offer yourself up to some syphilis-ridden scruff.
    I was thinking something to do with Shakespeare and helping him co-write his plays (since we already know them) and then getting favoured by Elizabeth I, thus gaining a place in her court.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    You are walking down a quiet alleyway in central London. Suddenly, a wormhole randomly opens and propels you back in time to 1590. Elizabeth I is on the throne and you are in Tudor London.

You are in your modern clothes and have on you what you take around with you most days (phone, purse or wallet, etc.)

How do you survive? Do you tell people the truth and hope you're not accused of witchcraft? Do you discard all your modern goods and try to blend in and adapt to this new life?

There is no chance of a further wormhole opening.
    I'd be much like Littlefinger. I would manipulate people and situations to the point that i gained and vast wealth and power across the empire.

ReputationRep:
    I thought they spoke 'early modern English' in the late 16th/early 17th century?!
    True, but unless you ahve a grasp of dialects you'd be hard pressed to understand and then speak it back. They have to be able to understand you as well

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 12, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you rather

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.