Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

help I think my flatmate is a narcissist! Watch

ReputationRep:
    He always:

• Talks about himself, randomly turns conversations on himself
    • Goes on about his personal development
    • doesnt take in criticism
    • talks over people
    • is constantly worrying about awkwardness to a point where he doesnt come in the kitchen or runs away from certain people on the stairs, the other day he came back with a curry and was going to put it in the fridge until he heard my flatmate in the kitchen who he doesnt get on with, he then went and sat in his room with his curry for a good hour and a half until they left
    • says he doesnt care if people find him annoying
    • says he can change it but doesnt want to, as je puts 'being himself' above all else

What is this guy like? Is he a narcissist?

ReputationRep:
    If I say 'yes', what will change? Labeling him isn't going to help deal with him.

ReputationRep:
    He definitely has elements of both. At times he will seem vulnerable/self conscious whereas other times he will be making jokes about how he has inspired people

ReputationRep:
    He sounds extremely insecure to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt375)
    He definitely has elements of both. At times he will seem vulnerable/self conscious whereas other times he will be making jokes about how he has inspired people
    Key word: "joke."

It's probably just bravado.

ReputationRep:
    Boring people always label interesting and outgoing people as narcissists to satiate their own hurt ego just because someone else is more awesome than them.

Believe it or not, I have been called a narcissist on more than occasion because I'm "in-love with myself" - ridiculous. Yes, I do love myself very much, and I hope you do too, but that doesn't mean I'm in-love with myself nor am I self-involved or selfish.

It's usually the smallest, most insignifcant creatures that bang on about narcissism it's like they're trying to compensate for their own personal inadequacy by bringing other individuals down to their **** level.

ReputationRep:
    I believe its possible to be interesting and outgoing without talking about yourself as much as he does, and have seen as such in other people I know. Your message seems like an anecdotal rant about your own experiences rather than a safe generalization to make about all narcissists.

(Original post by Daenerys...)
    Boring people always label interesting and outgoing people as narcissists to satiate their own hurt ego just because someone else is more awesome than them.

Believe it or not, I have been called a narcissist on more than occasion because I'm "in-love with myself" - ridiculous. Yes, I do love myself very much, and I hope you do too, but that doesn't mean I'm in-love with myself nor am I self-involved or selfish.

It's usually the smallest, most insignifcant creatures that bang on about narcissism it's like they're trying to compensate for their own personal inadequacy by bringing other individuals down to their **** level.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 12, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about your GCSE results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.