Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Being charged £800 for a broken shower screen. Watch

ReputationRep:
    My friend's landlord is charging me for a replacement bath screen and I've been informed that the total is up to £800. As a student there is no way I can afford to pay that and I'm shocked at how much I'm being charged. After seeking advice, no one can understand why it is such a high price as it would cost much less to buy a new screen and have it fitted. The only option I can think of is trying to negotiate with the landlord by offering to pay for a new glass screen and for it to be fitted as this is all I can afford.

ReputationRep:
    Why is your friend's landlord charging you? Did you break it? Do you have insurance to cover it? Ask to see quotes. Unless it's made of diamond-encrusted gold for £800 someone is taking the p1ss.

ReputationRep:
    Why didn't you just call a local plumber get him to order one and fit it, the landlord wouldn't have been any the wiser. That's what my brothers room mates did when they wrecked the sofa covers, they bought new ones and fitted them.

£800 is raking the piss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kandy_Kain_94)
    My friend's landlord is charging me for a replacement bath screen and I've been informed that the total is up to £800. As a student there is no way I can afford to pay that and I'm shocked at how much I'm being charged. After seeking advice, no one can understand why it is such a high price as it would cost much less to buy a new screen and have it fitted. The only option I can think of is trying to negotiate with the landlord by offering to pay for a new glass screen and for it to be fitted as this is all I can afford.
    1. Why is your friend's landlord charging you? Did you damage it?

2. £800 for a bath screen seems very high

3. You could negotiate, if you did indeed beak the screen such that the whole thing now needs replacing.. however you would also factor in the age and original value of the screen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    Why is your friend's landlord charging you? Did you break it? Do you have insurance to cover it? Ask to see quotes. Unless it's made of diamond-encrusted gold for £800 someone is taking the p1ss.

(Original post by FeelingDepressed)
    Why didn't you just call a local plumber get him to order one and fit it, the landlord wouldn't have been any the wiser. That's what my brothers room mates did when they wrecked the sofa covers, they bought new ones and fitted them.

£800 is raking the piss

(Original post by Reue)
    1. Why is your friend's landlord charging you? Did you damage it?

2. £800 for a bath screen seems very high

3. You could negotiate, if you did indeed beak the screen such that the whole thing now needs replacing.. however you would also factor in the age and original value of the screen.
    Yes, I broke it accidentally. My friend's landlord isn't charging me, he is charging them but they cannot pay it so obviously they contacted me and said I should pay as I'm the one who broke it. I don't have insurance but I'm not sure about my friend or er housemates. This happened 2 months ago and at the time I did ask my friend about me paying for damage and she said it was fine and that they were covered and then all of a sudden yesterday she messages me asking for me to send her £800. I've asked to see quotes because everyone seems to think that is a ridiculous amount for a replacement bath screen. I would definitely be willing to pay for a replacement and for someone to fit it but that would cost £150- £200 at most but I've not heard anything back from my friend or the landlord.

ReputationRep:
    first how was it damaged? Can you argue normal wear and tear? Was it toughened glass - if not suggest the landlord is at fault.

screens are not cheap so while this seems high it depends on the screen and how difficult it is to fit. I would get some people in to quote for fitting a replacement and if their quotes are significantly different refue to pay any more than an average. A court would ordder you to pay for a replacement but would probably expect to see 3 quotes to show the amount was reasonable. If you have quotes showing it isn't you have a sound basis for paying less. however the screen does need to be a close match to the original. How old was it - maybe a deduction is appropriate http://www.landlordlawblog.co.uk/201...d-shower-door/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kandy_Kain_94)
    Yes, I broke it accidentally.
    Im not a legal expert but my understanding would be that your friend is liable to the landlord; as they rented the property. You friend would then need to reclaim the costs from you.

Do not give any money directly to the landlord. You have no contract with them and they could then try and reclaim the money from your friend as well. Instead; Wait and see what deposit deduction the landlord is proposing. If it is over-inflated then dispute it using the tenancy deposit scheme.

Ultimately I expect that your friend will have to pay something (not anywhere near £800) out of their deposit to cover the damage, and you should reimburse them.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources
How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.