Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Proof of Address for Banking Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm 18 years old and a student. I need to open a bank account asap for student finance. It's my first account and after looking online for a while I realised I had to provide proof of address and it seems I don't have any of the accepted proof of address documents such as utility bills and council tax stuff as everything is in my mums name. Will I still be able to open an account even if I don't have those address documents?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helpmepleaseguys)
    Hi, I'm 18 years old and a student. I need to open a bank account asap for student finance. It's my first account and after looking online for a while I realised I had to provide proof of address and it seems I don't have any of the accepted proof of address documents such as utility bills and council tax stuff as everything is in my mums name. Will I still be able to open an account even if I don't have those address documents?
    Making sure you are on the electoral roll might help (that has worked for me at least twice, but you might have to suggest it). It is possible they need two sources of information though, not sure how it is.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have a passport or driving licence?

can't remember but there must be some alternative method even if it involves a personal visit to a branch. Don't just rely on the web pages as they are a "one size fits all" solution

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domonict)
    Do you have a passport or driving licence?

can't remember but there must be some alternative method even if it involves a personal visit to a branch. Don't just rely on the web pages as they are a "one size fits all" solution
    Yeah, I have a british passport, I will probably visit a branch today after college haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onde)
    Making sure you are on the electoral roll might help (that has worked for me at least twice, but you might have to suggest it). It is possible they need two sources of information though, not sure how it is.
    Yeah I am on the electoral roll, I'll probably pop into a branch and explain my situation and whether being on the electoral roll along with proof will be okay
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Have you received any letters at all with your name on them? Like UCAS letter, letter from your school etc? They might be accepted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkMagic)
    Have you received any letters at all with your name on them? Like UCAS letter, letter from your school etc? They might be accepted.
    Yeah good idea, I've got those handy I think, thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helpmepleaseguys)
    Yeah, I have a british passport, I will probably visit a branch today after college haha
    as long as thats in date I would bring that along.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.