Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    First of all, thank you for doing this on TSR

So I am considering applying to Cambridge Computer Science for entry in 2016. I am an international student, Lithuanian to be exact. I am studying for the Lithuanian state qualification Brandos atestatas but I am also taking CIE AS Levels (which I have self taught for) this month and possibly A levels a year from now alongside my usual studies.

I will number my questions so it will be easier for you to answer.

1) The subjects I am doing with CIE are Mathematics (Pure and Stats), CompSci and Economics. I understand that a science subject would have been a more preferable choice than Economics. I am taking Physics in my school but at a lower level (level B, we can choose to take our subjects in level A or B). Would this lack of a science subject disadvantage me greatly?

2) I know that Further Maths is highly desirable, at least to AS Level. But sadly CIE does not offer FM at AS. I do not believe that I would be able to self-teach an entire A Level in the next school year, especially since I have not studied any Mechanics modules to this moment. Would I be asked to sit some STEP papers as part of an offer if I were given one?

3) The Lithuanian school system (last two years) is not as flexible as GCE when it comes to subject choices. Therefore, Lithuanian language is a mandatory subject, which is mostly literature. I dislike the subject, mostly they way it is taught, and I am doing poorly in it as a result. Would this disadvantage my application?

Sorry for the long questions. Thank you so much for doing this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peterhouse Admissions)
    There are lots of reasons a candidate may be pooled, some compulsory, some 'discretionary.' Admissions Tutors don't know the reason from looking at the file, although there is a cover sheet summarising the applicant written by the interviewers. For post-A level applicants, pooling is compulsory in all subjects except maths and medicine if the candidate has achieved A*A*A* (with A*s in sciences (including maths) if applying for a science course). For IB, the criterion is 42 and 776 (7s in sciences for science courses, again excluding maths and medicine). Pooling is also compulsory if there was a serious issue which affected the candidate's interviews.

Would my A2 ums % be of greater weight than my AS ums % since the exams would be more recent? I feel I have progressed well over the years since year 11. I left with 4A* at GCSE then worked really hard in year 12 to get a average of around 90.5% across AS maths, physics, biology and chemistry and I think I have progressed further this year and hope to exceed 95% (fingers crossed) across my A2 (dropped physics) due to doing well in coursework and getting a top performance in mocks. Would my weak GCSE performance and satisfactory AS % pull me down when the averages are calculated across the entire A level? And I was wondering if work experience is important when writing a personal statement for biological natural sciences or would further reading and independent learning be enough?
    Thanks for your assistance.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I will be starting a maths and physics bachelor's degree at Bath in September. From an earlier comment, I am aware that it is possible to apply for part III of the mathematical Tripos for a master's from another university. Will doing maths and physics (as opposed to just maths) hinder my chances of being accepted for Part III? Are there tests (like STEP) which can determine if a candidate knows enough maths to join the course, or is this done solely based on information regarding the course they took at the other university?

Thank you very much
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    What if its only one resit ?Is it fine ?
    Yes, just the one resit is absolutely fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Gifted-)
    How important is Physics UMS to a Maths application? So say a 96% in Maths and a 85% in Physics. Will this hold me back from gaining an interview ?

Thanks for the help ?
    If you're taking both Physics and Maths at A level then you've probably noticed that they crossover quite a bit. So Physics A level is a useful complementary subject to Maths, but for Maths applicants we're really mostly interested in your performance in Maths. So if you've absolutely nailed your Maths exams then a slightler poorer performance in Physics shouldn't hold you back. Are you taking/able to take Further Maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayooo)
    Either music or english literature. I just wanted to know if i'd be at too much of a disadvantage if i only have biology and chemistry as my two science subjects... Because i wanted my other two to be arts subjects to give me a variety of choices at the end of year 13.
    It is possible to apply for Natural Sciences with only two science A levels, but I should point out that the vast majority of successful NatSci applicants are taking 3 'science' subjects (including Maths) at A level, and those who don't usually have an additional AS in a science. So, in terms of applying to Cambridge, keeping your options open is actually a bit harder than it sounds! The good news is that Biology and Chemistry are the two most helpful A level subjects for a Bio NatSci, but if you're really set on either PBS or NatSci then I'd say doing more sciences will stand you in good stead. However, if you're still quite unsure then you might want to have a look at online for more advice, both for Cambridge and for the Russell Group (you can download helpful PDFs from both of these websites).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mnk179)
    First of all, thank you for doing this on TSR

So I am considering applying to Cambridge Computer Science for entry in 2016. I am an international student, Lithuanian to be exact. I am studying for the Lithuanian state qualification Brandos atestatas but I am also taking CIE AS Levels (which I have self taught for) this month and possibly A levels a year from now alongside my usual studies.

I will number my questions so it will be easier for you to answer.

1) The subjects I am doing with CIE are Mathematics (Pure and Stats), CompSci and Economics. I understand that a science subject would have been a more preferable choice than Economics. I am taking Physics in my school but at a lower level (level B, we can choose to take our subjects in level A or B). Would this lack of a science subject disadvantage me greatly?
    It depends a bit on which type of Computer Science you are applying for - you can apply for CompSci with Natural Sciences, CompSci with Maths, or Compsci with Psychology (see here). 50% of your first year is spent studying the 'with' subject so not having much Physics won't matter too much for the last two, but might put you at a bit of a disadvantage for the Natural Sciences course. The main thing for whichever option you go for is that your understanding of your Maths topics is as thorough as possible.
    2) I know that Further Maths is highly desirable, at least to AS Level. But sadly CIE does not offer FM at AS. I do not believe that I would be able to self-teach an entire A Level in the next school year, especially since I have not studied any Mechanics modules to this moment. Would I be asked to sit some STEP papers as part of an offer if I were given one?
    It will greatly help your application (and help you to do well at interview) if you can cover as much Maths as possible. If you don't think you can self-teach an entire A level then that's completely understandable, but if you can self-teach on or two modules (even if you don't get them certificated) then that will help. Depending on how well you do in your current Maths modules, and how your maths is at interview, it's possible the STEP will be included in your offer - decisions like this are made on a case by case basis.
    3) The Lithuanian school system (last two years) is not as flexible as GCE when it comes to subject choices. Therefore, Lithuanian language is a mandatory subject, which is mostly literature. I dislike the subject, mostly they way it is taught, and I am doing poorly in it as a result. Would this disadvantage my application?
    Your performance in Lithuanian Language exams will make no difference to an application for Computer Science - we just want to see how talented you are at the subject you are applying for!
    Sorry for the long questions. Thank you so much for doing this.
    No problem at all, thanks for getting in touch!

ReputationRep:
    If you're taking both Physics and Maths at A level then you've probably noticed that they crossover quite a bit. So Physics A level is a useful complementary subject to Maths, but for Maths applicants we're really mostly interested in your performance in Maths. So if you've absolutely nailed your Maths exams then a slightler poorer performance in Physics shouldn't hold you back. Are you taking/able to take Further Maths?
    Yes, I am taking further maths with 8 modules. Lets say a candidate has 95% within in 6 modules. And another candidate has 93% in 8 modules, will the person with 8 modules be at a disadvantage or an advantage ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PotterPhysics)
    Hello, I will be starting a maths and physics bachelor's degree at Bath in September. From an earlier comment, I am aware that it is possible to apply for part III of the mathematical Tripos for a master's from another university. Will doing maths and physics (as opposed to just maths) hinder my chances of being accepted for Part III? Are there tests (like STEP) which can determine if a candidate knows enough maths to join the course, or is this done solely based on information regarding the course they took at the other university?

Thank you very much
    Postgraduate admissions are handled by the Departments rather than the Colleges so it would be best to speak to them directly. The entrance requirements are a first-class degree in a mathematical subject. The course is very competitive, not only in terms of admissions but also in terms of some of the more popular research topics.

Doing maths and physics would not hinder your chances of being accepted and the decision of whether or not to admit someone is based on information regarding the course they took at the other university rather than by entrance exam.

You may find this page from the Faculty website helpful. It has some useful pdf about the course - the Unofficial Guide is particularly useful in terms of applying and assessment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LordGaben)
    Would my A2 ums % be of greater weight than my AS ums % since the exams would be more recent? I feel I have progressed well over the years since year 11. I left with 4A* at GCSE then worked really hard in year 12 to get a average of around 90.5% across AS maths, physics, biology and chemistry and I think I have progressed further this year and hope to exceed 95% (fingers crossed) across my A2 (dropped physics) due to doing well in coursework and getting a top performance in mocks. Would my weak GCSE performance and satisfactory AS % pull me down when the averages are calculated across the entire A level? And I was wondering if work experience is important when writing a personal statement for biological natural sciences or would further reading and independent learning be enough?
    Thanks for your assistance.
    When calculated UMS averages for Merit Scores all modules are weighted equally, but remember that we can see AS and A2 modules individually if you are applying post-A level. It's great to hear that you think you're on an upward trajectory - this is something interviewers are particularly interested in. Remember that there's no minimum UMS requirement to be considered and that Merit Scores, but post-A level candidates should have met the level of the typical conditional offers (A*A*A for Natural Sciences).

Work experience is not expected for any subject and for Natural Sciences we would be much more interested in your wider reading and interests in the subject. Try to spend at least 2/3 - 3/4 of the personal statement talking about your academic interests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Gifted-)
    Yes, I am taking further maths with 8 modules. Lets say a candidate has 95% within in 6 modules. And another candidate has 93% in 8 modules, will the person with 8 modules be at a disadvantage or an advantage ?
    We never consider any one piece of information in isolation so this question isn't really meaningful - it's just not how we assess candidates. There has never yet (to my knowledge) been a case of "two candidates who are exactly the same but for this one thing." What is more common is to have divided opinions among interviewers regarding two candidates with very different academic profiles but who have similar levels of potential.

ReputationRep:
    I'm kind of scared because I had my m2 test recently and I know i've made one REALLY big mistake in a question, where I mixed a sin and a cos around. I had to use the result for a lot of the following questions, and as far as I am aware, MEI is an extremely punishing exam board in M2, where a mistake can really cost you, so there's a good chance I could more than 10% of my raw marks just off that mistake. How is that going to affect my chances of maths at cambridge, if I just mess up that one module?

I know you said it's okay to mess up a module (as long as it's just one), but when you say that I get that you mean it in a 'whoopsie bad day I lost 5 out of my 100 UMS' not dropping 10% of raw marks I guess, so what extent is a bad mark on that scale acceptable for a maths applicant?

ReputationRep:
    Does Cambridge consider people who'd be retaking A levels?
    For instance,they get ABBB in AS levels and 3 B's in A levels!But then plan to retake!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill Twix)
    Does Cambridge consider people who'd be retaking A levels?
    For instance,they get ABBB in AS levels and 3 B's in A levels!But then plan to retake!
    In the eyes of Cambridge, a B grade is probably extremely worrying.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

If an Post a level applicant got like a C at AS in one subject because of a bad module,but retook one of the units and got almost full ums in the A2 units to push that subject to an A/A*,is that worrying /ok?
    Especially if the subject isn't what the applicant wants to study at Cambridge and the other subjects are strong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CancerousProblem)
    I'm kind of scared because I had my m2 test recently and I know i've made one REALLY big mistake in a question, where I mixed a sign and a cos around. I had to use the result for a lot of the following questions, and as far as I am aware, MEI is an extremely punishing exam board in M2, where a mistake can really cost you, so there's a good chance I could more than 10% of my raw marks just off that mistake. How is that going to affect my chances of maths at cambridge, if I just mess up that one module?

I know you said it's okay to mess up a module (as long as it's just one), but when you say that I get that you mean it in a 'whoopsie bad day I lost 5 out of my 100 UMS' not dropping 10% of raw marks I guess, so what extent is a bad mark on that scale acceptable for a maths applicant?
    I can tell you now that the M2 MEI paper this year was horrendous, don't worry too much. Not official advice, but if I was brutally honest unless the rest of your scores really show you're an outstanding mathematician, you're chances are slim. I'd rather be honest with you, a lot of maths applicants have like 97% in M + FM, and Cambridge for some reason don't give any lenience towards someone taking the horrendous M2 over D1. Yet D1 is 100x easier, they just compare you. I'd say though, if you still managed to get >90 UMS, it's very good because it means you're on track for an A* in FM a year early. Just being honest with you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joe12345marc)
    I can tell you now that the M2 MEI paper this year was horrendous, don't worry too much. Not official advice, but if I was brutally honest unless the rest of your scores really show you're an outstanding mathematician, you're chances are slim. I'd rather be honest with you, a lot of maths applicants have like 97% in M + FM, and Cambridge for some reason don't give any lenience towards someone taking the horrendous M2 over D1. Yet D1 is 100x easier, they just compare you. I'd say though, if you still managed to get >90 UMS, it's very good because it means you're on track for an A* in FM a year early. Just being honest with you
    I usually get 99% or 100% when we do mocks in class. I just slipped up really badly on M2. I still have a chance to redeem myself on STEP 1 this year though lol, hopefully.

Don't know how much that means, but I don't know if I have it different to other applicants not doing STEP in Lower 6.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CancerousProblem)
    I'm kind of scared because I had my m2 test recently and I know i've made one REALLY big mistake in a question, where I mixed a sign and a cos around. I had to use the result for a lot of the following questions, and as far as I am aware, MEI is an extremely punishing exam board in M2, where a mistake can really cost you, so there's a good chance I could more than 10% of my raw marks just off that mistake. How is that going to affect my chances of maths at cambridge, if I just mess up that one module?

I'm sorry to hear your exam didn't go as you'd hoped. It really depends - if you're still excelling in your other Maths modules, and on target to get the typical offer of A*A*A in relevant subjects, then dropping a few marks in one module is fine. We don't have any quotas or cutoff points here, so I can't say anything like "if you drop below XX% then you won't be considered".

I suggest you wait and see how you did before you start panicking unnecessarily, and put that energy into doing as well as you can in your next round of exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

If an Post a level applicant got like a C at AS in one subject because of a bad module,but retook one of the units and got almost full ums in the A2 units to push that subject to an A/A*,is that worrying /ok?
    Especially if the subject isn't what the applicant wants to study at Cambridge and the other subjects are strong?
    It depends a bit on which subject you're applying for and which A level subject you're talking about etc - can you give me a bit more detail?

ReputationRep:
    Hi all!

Following on for our previous threads, and those by the Christ's Admissions Tutor, we're back for another two-week thread. We are running this a little differently to the 'Ask an Admissions Tutor' threads - we have a whole team of people here and your question will be answered by the most appropriate person, be they Admissions Tutor, Admissions Coordinator, Director of Studies or Supervisor. This may meant that it takes a little time to answer you questions, but we will get to them all!

We are happy to answer any questions you might have about Cambridge, Peterhouse, the application process or our courses so please ask away!
    Hello, I applied to Cambridge in 2015 unsuccessfully with 4As and an 89 % average in Maths (84%) Economics(95%) English Literature and Spanish. Would it be worth re-applying in 2016 with an A in Further Maths A-level (which I did entirely this year) an A* in Maths an A* in English Literature and an A* in Economics? Thank you.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.