Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    In my IGCSEs (CIE) I got 2As, 3Bs and 3Cs
    Right now im doing my AS levels (IAL Edexcel) in Maths, Chemistry and Biology
    Im hoping to get AAB
    And for the next year planning to do A2 somewhere in the UK.
    My question is, will I be accepted in any university in London for Dentistry?
    Please do reply xx

ReputationRep:
    Due to the very high number of applicants and the fierce competition for Dentistry. Universities will always look at your I/GCSE grades. This means applicants are basically required to get very high GCSE grades to make their application as competitive as others. Unfortunately, your 3Bs and 3 Cs do not reflect this standard. That does not mean however that you are completely barred from Medical School. But right now you are at a disadvantage.

Your best hope is to do as best as you can at you A-Levels and achieve the top grades possible. Also, Medicine and Dentistry, in most cases, expect applicants to have taken 4 AS Levels, and 3 A2. Also as a consequence of the high competition for Medicine. The 4th subject can be in realistically anything ranging from Music to Physics.

You also need to get Work Experience (Preferably in a Dental Practise) and you will need to get a voluntary job over the summer such as working in a Mental Institute or Care Home etc.

I don't want to put you off, but you have a long path to follow. Also, if you dont get into dentistry. Don't be disheartened. Consider going into something medically related such as Genetics. And then apply to Medicine as Graduate entry? Not only is the course shorter, but you'll know lots of the stuff included anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manal_mansoor)
    In my IGCSEs (CIE) I got 2As, 3Bs and 3Cs
    Right now im doing my AS levels (IAL Edexcel) in Maths, Chemistry and Biology
    Im hoping to get AAB
    And for the next year planning to do A2 somewhere in the UK.
    My question is, will I be accepted in any university in London for Dentistry?
    Please do reply xx
    your gcses pretty much rule out Kings, birmingham, Barts (Queen marys), bristol,liverpool,manchester,new castle and sheffield
    AAB is okay at AS but you'll need to get at least AAA at A2 and high UCKAT score to make up for your gcses
    you also need to do a fourth A level at least to AS

you cannot sit International A level in the UK so its not possible to carry on your IAL AS levels here so i suggest you complete them before coming
    also make sure you get good work experience and do some form of volunteering that you can talk about at interview
    best of luck x

ReputationRep:
    Name:  POSTER DentPrep.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  488.6 KB

1 WEEK LEFT & 2 WEEKS LEFT
    Hey guys by names Abdul a 4th year dental student at Cardiff and I will be presenting a slot in this massive event, the course is taking place in Cardiff University on 6th June 2015 and Birmingham on 13th June! If you have any questions please feel free to message me dont miss out on:

1. Detailed Personal statement secrets and inspirational tips- we will be dissecting real examples of outstanding Personal statements that shine to the reader from between the 60 personal statements being read a day by tutors.
    2. UKCAT gems and profound guidelines for achieving extraordinary scores on all sections.
    3. Interview training and strategies to help you get ahead of the competition. We will be going through so many MMI interview station questions that have been used in the last 4 years!
    4. Hidden secrets of each and every single individual university- each university preference will be explained and their procedure for accepting students.
    5. Gaining a competitive advantage and a winning edge to impress
    6. Profound entry hints, tips & tricks
    7. Expert Q&A

Book your ticket quick as its first come first serve!
    REGISTER AT: dent-prep.eventbrite.co.uk
    facebook: facebook.com/uniDentPrep
    Twitter hashtag: #DentPrep
    Email: [email protected]
    DentPrep is a unique organisation equipping you with profound skills to obtain a place at dental school.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.