Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Im 17 and have wanted to join the army for a few years now. I have decided on 3 job titles to go into, Combat Medical Technician, Light Gunner and chef.
    I know I can do it but my mum doesn't believe me. how do I show her that this is what I want to do.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Just do it and don't let her hold you back!

ReputationRep:
    OP, you have to talk to her. Find out why she thinks you can't. You need to research the steps, tell her what the hurdles to getting in are and what your plan is for getting over them.

Failing that, wait till you're 18 when you won't (legally) need her permission

(Original post by kiki37)
    Just do it and don't let her hold you back!
    Not simple: as an under 18 the OP has to have parental permission to join up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    OP, you have to talk to her. Find out why she thinks you can't. You need to research the steps, tell her what the hurdles to getting in are and what your plan is for getting over them.

Ooh okay, I didn't realise. Well I agree with this advice you gave

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)

I'm going to finish Alevels so i'll be 18 when i join so im thinking of just joining without telling her. Iv'e told her everything I know, granted she only knows about the chef choice but hardly no one, uncluding her believes i could handle it. the only people who are supportive are my brother, tutor and a few friends. I know this is what I want to do with my life

ReputationRep:
    the only people who are supportive are my brother, tutor and a few friends
    and everyone on TSR Katie!

Really good advice from Drewski. Communication is key in virtually all human interactions, and in an ideal world it would be best to have your Mum onside for what will be a challenging training period and beyond.

Why does she not think you have it in you to achieve your ambition? Whatever the reason, you can demonstrate that you are determined to get what you want, and make her really proud.

Good idea to get the highest quals you can at school, you may well need them in the future.

Very best of luck Katie!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 11, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.