Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I have several potential subjects that I could teach at secondary school or fe and am considering expanding on that further.

Because pgces are subject specific, if I do a pgce in subject a, what does that mean in terms of me being able to teach subjects b, c, d etc?

I'd hate to think that with the cost etc of doing a pgce that it would restrict you to teaching just that one subject when you hold qualifications and experience in other areas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurakate1988)
    I have several potential subjects that I could teach at secondary school or fe and am considering expanding on that further.

Because pgces are subject specific, if I do a pgce in subject a, what does that mean in terms of me being able to teach subjects b, c, d etc?

I'd hate to think that with the cost etc of doing a pgce that it would restrict you to teaching just that one subject when you hold qualifications and experience in other areas.
    In most schools, if there is a shortage, they will get somebody to teach the subject even if they DON"T have any qualifications and experience, just to fill a gap. Don't get hung up on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    In most schools, if there is a shortage, they will get somebody to teach the subject even if they DON"T have any qualifications and experience, just to fill a gap. Don't get hung up on it.
    this is very true. at the school i'm currently volunteering at one of the (very experienced) spanish teachers covers 4 PE lessons a week purely on the strength of the fact that he used to play cricket at county level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaneBaratheon)
    this is very true. at the school i'm currently volunteering at one of the (very experienced) spanish teachers covers 4 PE lessons a week purely on the strength of the fact that he used to play cricket at county level.
    In time of desperation, it may come to anyone who has ever seen a cricket ball.

ReputationRep:
    Lol! This thread is all of humorous, reassuring and worrying all at the same time. Thanks people

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.