Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Am I right for calling him controlling! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have been with my partner for three years and he's never told me that he likes/dislikes what I wear. Today I am wearing the same outfit that I usually wear but he said you don't look good, why would you go out like that (I am wearing jeans, pink top and a cardigan) I am covered, but I shouted and said don't you ever dictate what I can or cannot wear, I will not let you control me like that! Now he is really sulking, having ago at me, being ignorant. When I try and talk to him, he shh me. I don't know whether to feel guilty or not but I do not let him tell me what to do :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    He sshh's you when you try and talk to him? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Major overreaction in how you handled it, why didn't you discuss this with him instead of screaming like a banshee?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah hardly controlling in my eyes - he's voicing (seemingly unnecessarily) his dislike towards what you're wearing, from what you say he never explicitly told you not to wear it. Just talk to him when it all calms down and let him explain what he meant.

ReputationRep:
    I think you overreacted. Plus when did he imply he wanted to control what you wear? All he said was he didn't like your outfit..

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind :blushing:

But he probably has always had a problem with what you wear and has just gotten the courage to tell you. You shouldn't have reacted like that. Shouting is unnecessary, especially when you could converse peacefully and this way, no one will be angry. Also I don't see a major problem with him having a problem with what you wear. A little change won't be bad? Just find it stupid to cause something big out of something small. Just listen to what he has to say and stay a happy couple.

#feministwillhateme.
    #feministsbemad?

ReputationRep:
    Ditch him, come to Yorkshire and go out with a hunk. Like me.

ReputationRep:
    In his defence the 'Meg Griffin' swagger will get old after a while:|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterfly92xo)
    I have been with my partner for three years and he's never told me that he likes/dislikes what I wear. Today I am wearing the same outfit that I usually wear but he said you don't look good, why would you go out like that (I am wearing jeans, pink top and a cardigan) I am covered, but I shouted and said don't you ever dictate what I can or cannot wear, I will not let you control me like that! Now he is really sulking, having ago at me, being ignorant. When I try and talk to him, he shh me. I don't know whether to feel guilty or not but I do not let him tell me what to do :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    - I think he was rude, he could have approached the matter a bit more tactfully
    - I think you over reacted. There was no need for you to start yelling so quickly. I also don't think he was being controlling. You could have just said you'll wear what you like.
    - I think it would have been controlling had he demanded you change, or if this had been happening repeatedly.
    - I think it's absolutely disgusting and rude that he's shushing you when you talk to him. I'd see it as disgusting and rude regardless of who thinks that's appropriate.
    - If I were in this position, I'd apologise for over reacting, but I won't accept him being so rude with shushing, rather than discussing it. Yes I know you jumped straight to shouting, but I just find his response disrespectful and immature. It won't solve anything.
    - If and when he stops shushing you, you could then bring up that you don't like his opinion on your clothes. He can have an opinion, and I think you should hear what he has to say, but you don't have to follow what he says. It's up to you.

TLDR; I think you overreacted, but if I was in this situation, while I would apologise for yelling, I'd be infuriated at him shushing me.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You both sound like children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adoremorrissey)
    topkek

(Original post by adoremorrissey)
    God I love a Yorkshireman

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 12, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.