Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA English Language A A2 (ENGA3) 2015. Watch

ReputationRep:
    So you'd still say he used a variety of English to distant himself from SE...but then they wanted you to talk about other attitudes people have towards other varieties e.g males use it more, people prefer SE. The question literally was Is SE of higher status than Vernacular... So ****ed it up haha ...how did I not know what "inferior" means 😂

ReputationRep:
    i just did this exam I did question 1, I think it went okay. How did everyone find question 3? I thought technology may have come up since It hadn't come up before but wasn't sure if it would be a discourses question or a section A one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patricio_miguel)
    + it's only 7.5-10% of your overall grade so don't worry about it whatsoever...
    Love how we've done the exact same English and French exams :')
    I don't think English language went awfully but it wasn't my best tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zplin)
    Love how we've done the exact same English and French exams :'
    I don't think English language went awfully but it wasn't my best tbh
    Don't get me started on the listening for FN 🙄

I'm so annoyed at myself though with misunderstanding that velnacular question haha

For section B, all I did was literally Prescriptivism/descriptivism - that's it lol

ReputationRep:
    It had nothing to do with ethnicity haha it said "non-standard varieties"! So basically all the Labov stuff , Cheshire, and **** that I didn't ****ing put it lol wrote 12 sides of nonsense basically ...
    But BBE is a nonstandard variety? Oh my god im so confused about this question i bloody wish i di the other one 😭😭😭 other people in my class wrote about ethnicity though. Who the hell knows omg.

ReputationRep:
    Well ive ****ed up

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone do question 1?? Me and only like 4 people picked it out of our class and I'm starting to get nervous!!
    If you did it then what did you write for it?

Also what did everyone put in question 3? (discourses)

ReputationRep:
    Don't get me started on the listening for FN 🙄

I'm so annoyed at myself though with misunderstanding that velnacular question haha

For section B, all I did was literally Prescriptivism/descriptivism - that's it lol
    Oh god that listening was awful haha

I did that one, I put in accent and dialect theory mostly and talked about RP/SE and regional variations and how one isn't necessarily superior to the other idk
    Basically half of section B for me was just talking about Jean Aitchison's metaphors with a couple change theories thrown in for fun, my textual analysis for that one was pretty bad I think tho 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkp98)
    Haha oh ****! Wasnt it about ethnicty though? Supposed to link it to the texts and the text was about immigrants! Like a cross between ethnicity and accent ? (Bc standard eng) ??

We actually shouldve gone with question 1, this was a ****ing trick question😭😭😭
    Question 1 was worded differently too😭

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zplin)
    Oh god that listening was awful haha

I did that one, I put in accent and dialect theory mostly and talked about RP/SE and regional variations and how one isn't necessarily superior to the other idk
    Basically half of section B for me was just talking about Jean Aitchison's metaphors with a couple change theories thrown in for fun, my textual analysis for that one was pretty bad I think tho 😂
    Yep , i also included john humphreys, David crystal and oliver camm's views

ReputationRep:
    did anyone do q1? I was a bit confused by the wording but went for it anyway because I struggle with ethnicity! what did everyone put?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkp98)
    But BBE is a nonstandard variety? Oh my god im so confused about this question i bloody wish i di the other one 😭😭😭 other people in my class wrote about ethnicity though. Who the hell knows omg.
    It is...but you was asked "how far" so you had to go beyond that...I'm so pissed off cause they have never been so vague/ambiguous and never as hard haha!

ReputationRep:
    It is...but you was asked "how far" so you had to go beyond that...I'm so pissed off cause they have never been so vague/ambiguous and never as hard haha!
    God that was horrible 😂 oh well i had a little cry and feel better now, can kiss goodbye to my A! My english teavher is emailing me tomorrow what she thinks it was asking for. Ahh well i think less peopke answered it didnt they? Doesnt that mean it is easier for us to score higher on ?

ReputationRep:
    I just don't get it though...all of my AQA exams have been so ****ing hard!

The English exam was really hard in itself - why make it vague so people don't even know what to put in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zay96)
    Question 1 was worded differently too😭
    What was question 1 even about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkp98)
    What was question 1 even about?
    Question 1-
    First bullet point was on how the writer portrayed parenting in Text A ( or something along those lines)
    Second bullet point was on assessing the view how language changed was caused my evolution
    Very strangely worded, I'd be interested to see what people put in their responses

Please reply if you did question 1!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cesca3004)
    Question 1-
    First bullet point was on how the writer portrayed parenting in Text A ( or something along those lines)
    Second bullet point was on assessing the view how language changed was caused my evolution
    Very strangely worded, I'd be interested to see what people put in their responses

It was basically asking you how language changed over time and then you could mention the idea of progress/decay...I thought that was hard and then I got myself into some real stupid ass variation ****ing **** 😡

ReputationRep:
    Question 1-

I did question 1! I wasn't really sure about the question or what the evolution meant so I wrote about the functional theory, sub-stratum and political correctness and put how I thought they caused language change as opposed to just evolution. not sure if that will get me any marks though, its annoying how it was worded differently to normal :/ what did you do??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helen08)
    I did question 1! I wasn't really sure about the question or what the evolution meant so I wrote about the functional theory, sub-stratum and political correctness and put how I thought they caused language change as opposed to just evolution. not sure if that will get me any marks though, its annoying how it was worded differently to normal :/ what did you do??
    Yeah I basically wrote the same stuff and about Swift and Miller because of the pronoun use in Text B
    As discourses was on change as well I kind of felt like I was repeating myself so i don't know if what I wrote in that section was right or not, I obviously related it more to social media and technology but still unsure

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I basically wrote the same stuff and about Swift and Miller because of the pronoun use in Text B
    As discourses was on change as well I kind of felt like I was repeating myself so i don't know if what I wrote in that section was right or not, I obviously related it more to social media and technology but still unsure
    that is reassuring! I used one of Aitchisons methaphors too as she always seems to be high on the markscheme in question one however I felt like I was having to force it in to this essay, I still don't really understand what they wanted!
    I had the same worries too because my theories were near enough the exact same in both sections however when I spoke to my teacher about it after she said they are marked individually by different examiners and so it doesn't matter if the essays are similar (which mine definitely were) because they only see one essay not both

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.