Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA English Language A A2 (ENGA3) 2015. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helen08)
    I did question 1! I wasn't really sure about the question or what the evolution meant so I wrote about the functional theory, sub-stratum and political correctness and put how I thought they caused language change as opposed to just evolution. not sure if that will get me any marks though, its annoying how it was worded differently to normal :/ what did you do??
    That stupid word "evolution"got me a little baffled..same i added political correctness, functional theory, substratam theory- commented a bit on syntax, did the usual analysis stuff grammar lexis , gender bias

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zay96)
    That stupid word "evolution"got me a little baffled..same i added political correctness, functional theory, substratam theory- commented a bit on syntax, did the usual analysis stuff grammar lexis , gender bias
    Also, evolution means the same as change,, they juat tried to trick us, and i did contradict myself a bit because i thought it meant somethinh different.. i reaised that when i checked... so glad i mentioned what i did... hopefully grade boundries will be low becase im sure alot of students got confused by that

ReputationRep:
    Question 1 was about PC so: gatekeeping, Aitchison (metaphors), muted/dominant groups, negative semantic space, change from above etc. What you would have done is talked about Text A being from 1800s and having out-dated discriminatory views, whereas modern Text B was more PC = evolution in language and social attitudes has occurred + reference all the usual terms and theorists to support it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helen08)
    did anyone do q1? I was a bit confused by the wording but went for it anyway because I struggle with ethnicity! what did everyone put?

I did question 2, oh so did you think it was about ethnicity too? Other people interpreted it differently and wrote about accents and social class but i only wrote about ethnicity 😭 do you think question 2 was deffo that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkp98)
    I did question 2, oh so did you think it was about ethnicity too? Other people interpreted it differently and wrote about accents and social class but i only wrote about ethnicity 😭 do you think question 2 was deffo that?
    It said "non standard varieties" not "black vernacular" or "ethnicity" + you had to link it to text D which was talking about Standard English being more valued by academics etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patricio_miguel)
    It said "non standard varieties" not "black vernacular" or "ethnicity" + you had to link it to text D which was talking about Standard English being more valued by academics etc.
    It wasn't about accents like Estuary English and RP though was it, because thats accent not dialect and standard english can be spoken in any accent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patricio_miguel)
    I emailed my eng teacher and she said:
    " I've seen the paper and think it's actually quite nice - the literary text lends itself to BBE which is considered a non standard variety and you've mentioned code switching/ accommodation which is excellent. Showing awareness of how people change how they speak and why is also important - which you've done. You've discussed attitudes and the descriptivist approach so honestly you're fine!You will find that others have taken a different approach and referred to other varieties and that's okay as well but please don't let that put you off because your ideas are very relevant as you've made a link from data to BBE wider reading etc. Please do not worry".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cesca3004)
    Yeah I basically wrote the same stuff and about Swift and Miller because of the pronoun use in Text B
    As discourses was on change as well I kind of felt like I was repeating myself so i don't know if what I wrote in that section was right or not, I obviously related it more to social media and technology but still unsure
    I did the exact same as you! Let's hope we did it right

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.