Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PR1234)
    would it be ok to just revise language change for Section A? because there are too many variation theorists to learn for the question on language variation.
    I would be careful because question 3 (section B) can be on variation, I wouldn't advise skipping out anything

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is it me or is Political Correctness really vague? I really hope that PC and Accent & Dialect aren't on tomorrow's paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know any theories related to language reflectionism (PC). I have enough for determinism but I can't find any for reflectionism

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamzz9)
    Is it me or is Political Correctness really vague? I really hope that PC and Accent & Dialect aren't on tomorrow's paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've just made clearer notes on accent and dialect, including the theories/ideas you need to know for it!

https://app.box.com/s/y5pkwcb2ga3z752w528ss7euudlqytzg

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liaamm)
    Does anyone know any theories related to language reflectionism (PC). I have enough for determinism but I can't find any for reflectionism

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is all I have on reflectionism. I think if PC was to come up it would be along wish a Lang change debate and how PC is a 'top down change' where we can argue whether PC is a descriptivist trait or a prescriptivist. Because it's an enforced change, which is Presc' behaviour, but then it's constantly changing (to suit the needs of the users which is the functional theory) yet this makes it appear as if it's a descriptivist feature. Content wise there's not much for PC, but evaluation wise it's a heaven! Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434635318.233392.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  57.5 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Itsmattyjayy)
    This is all I have on reflectionism. I think if PC was to come up it would be along wish a Lang change debate and how PC is a 'top down change' where we can argue whether PC is a descriptivist trait or a prescriptivist. Because it's an enforced change, which is Presc' behaviour, but then it's constantly changing (to suit the needs of the users which is the functional theory) yet this makes it appear as if it's a descriptivist feature. Content wise there's not much for PC, but evaluation wise it's a heaven! Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434635318.233392.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  57.5 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So for determinism we can refer to;
    Empty drum theory
    Stephen Pinker
    Colour term theory
    And Orwells 1984 Newspeak Dictionary

But when it comes to reflectionism there's no references😄 can you see why it doesn't make much sense?😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Empty drum theory
    Stephen Pinker
    Colour term theory

But when it comes to reflectionism there's no references😄 can you see why it doesn't make much sense?😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've never heard of any of them theories 😰

I think this could clear up reflectionism for you though, it was more of a, oh wait our first theory doesn't quite make sense, left flip it 😂Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434635896.334295.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  194.5 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also for everyone this is useful for language varieties

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Empty drum theory
    Stephen Pinker
    Colour term theory

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So in short, reflectionism is something we're told about so we can create a counter argument using our own knowledge, I'm guessing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I prefer change way more so I'm preparing more for that for the first one, make sure you do papers in times conditions and link it to the theories, prescriptivist and descriptivist views and the metaphors from jean aitchison

ReputationRep:
    How much has everyone done on language and power?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What are the theories we need to refer to for accents and dialect?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the grade boundaries for this exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emily96x)
    What are the theories we need to refer to for accents and dialect?
    I quoted this a few pages beforehand x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammyxo)
    Does anyone know the grade boundaries for this exam?
    It depends how well everyone across the country does

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would be careful because question 3 (section B) can be on variation, I wouldn't advise skipping out anything

Posted from TSR Mobile
    oh I thought Section B was on either language change, gender and interaction, political correctness of accents/dialects/world English??

ReputationRep:
    does anybody need notes on language change theories?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PR1234)
    does anybody need notes on language change theories?
    Yes please share!!!! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What else is there on age apart from sociolinguistic maturation?

ReputationRep:
    If we get a question based upon accents and dialects, would we mention how language spreads? Such as the theories like S curve, wave model and so on

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.