Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liaamm)
    If we get a question based upon accents and dialects, would we mention how language spreads? Such as the theories like S curve, wave model and so on

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes! And a good point will definitely be Estuary English because this is a more recent dialect which has formed and we can say how it's causing regional dialect to become less apparent, which is either good (more understanding) or bad (less individuality).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Guys I'm a little stuck, Labov says that men seek covert prestige and women overt, but the difference model States men seek status, and women week connections when they communicate? Can someone explain this? Are they completely different concepts which are opposites and I can then say 'in contrast in the prestige idea made by labov blabla'?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Itsmattyjayy)
    Guys I'm a little stuck, Labov says that men seek covert prestige and women overt, but the difference model States men seek status, and women week connections when they communicate? Can someone explain this? Are they completely different concepts which are opposites and I can then say 'in contrast in the prestige idea made by labov blabla'?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you have language and Gender notes?!? Can I see them

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    just found this on political correctness! https://quizlet.com/43844351/politic...s-flash-cards/

ReputationRep:
    I haven't even started language variation revision, does anyone have any suggestions with what I should go over before tomorrow??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammyxo)
    I haven't even started language variation revision, does anyone have any suggestions with what I should go over before tomorrow??
    My variation set up

-Features of different types of accents in English (RP,estuary,scouse,Geordie,Birmi ngham) +there attitudes

Features of global English (koines,pidgins,creoles)

Theorists that surround variation (milroy,sebba,Fox,Giles and so on)

A little mention as to how language spreads, but not to much (s curve,wave and so on)

Then attitudes to variation (Prescriptivist and descriptivist debate while concluding Jean Atchisons analogies)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilydia)
    What else is there on age apart from sociolinguistic maturation?
    mention in particular with it MLE/Cheshire and the research where the children on the multicultural playground copied Hinglish maybe, shows how influenced children/teens are

ReputationRep:
    what dictionary do we need to know about

ReputationRep:
    guys i think its going to be pc, world english and change

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Liaamm;57173037]My variation set up

-Features of different types of accents in English (RP,estuary,scouse,Geordie,Birmi ngham) +there attitudes

Features of global English (koines,pidgins,creoles)

Theorists that surround variation (milroy,sebba,Fox,Giles and so on)

A little mention as to how language spreads, but not to much (s curve,wave and so on)

Then attitudes to variation (Prescriptivist and descriptivist debate while concluding Jean Atchisons analogies)

what did giles say?

ReputationRep:
    do we need to know theorist names or just the theory

ReputationRep:
    There's two, there's Dr.Samuel Johnson's dictionary (1750's I believe?) which was the first dictionary written and it added 3000+ words into the English language

Then there is orwells dictionary (1984 I think?) for language determinism which trys to reduce vocabulary in an attempt to stop politically incorrect thoughts

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There's also Henry fowler's modern English usage dictionary which came about in the 19th/20th century. This took a more relaxed approach and non standard forms were seen as more acceptable. It also opposed pedantry

ReputationRep:
    what did berstein?

ReputationRep:
    Bernstein speaks of the elaborated and restricted codes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liaamm)
    Do you have language and Gender notes?!? Can I see them

Posted from TSR Mobile
    https://app.box.com/s/m6bws2wmr728v2yxphkq3urf62mfx9as

Here are the notes on Language and Gender

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    did labov expand on bernsteins work

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what timings you should try stick to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilydia)
    Does anyone know what timings you should try stick to?
    Personally I can't plan to save my life, but hypothetically if I could plan, I'd say 15 minutes just soaking in all the info for both section and making brief plans, then you have an hour on each question you do plus 15 free minutes here and there to ponder that the bell you're doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Excuse my typing, either English is getting to me, or my autocorrect, I'd say both.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.