Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Probably left this a little late as booking starts today but I'm torn between where to book. Part of me wants to book Bede Hall as it seems a better social experience with 10 people in a flat and I feel I'd get a better uni experience sharing bathrooms and stuff (don't ask) but I do worry that 10 may be too many, as with a smaller group you can coordinate cooking better I guess and I'd personally feel more comfortable.

I think I just need conformation from an existing student that there is as much of a social life at the other halls, probably worrying over nothing but I don't want to make a mistake.

TL;DR what is the social life like at other halls apart from Bede?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in exactly the same position. Mansions court on the campus is cheaper than student halls but is there a strong comparison to living in private company accommodation to student halls? is it recommended to live in student halls for your first year??
    Help (

ReputationRep:
    It's so hard to decide I think now I may just go for private company, they seem to have better quality rooms and some of them are really close to campus and like you said cheaper

Just noticed your doing the same course as me! Wondered if I'd ever see someone doing the same on here

ReputationRep:
    Exactly! but I don't want to be the only 1st year in my flat which may happen plus, I can see the nightlife and overall 'uni experience' may be better in student halls I really am stuck lol. Haha, indeed we are! I'll try and private message u if I can work out how aha
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Gemma/Josh,

With Grosvenor House (and I would presume other halls), you can specifically request who you would like to live with I.E gender, 1st Years, Postgraduates, Friends etc. and we would do our best to accommodate as best we can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemmaprice)
    Exactly! but I don't want to be the only 1st year in my flat which may happen plus, I can see the nightlife and overall 'uni experience' may be better in student halls I really am stuck lol. Haha, indeed we are! I'll try and private message u if I can work out how aha
    Yeah thats why I was drawn to Bede Hall, I can just imagine a lot going on with 10 people in a flat, I also read that that's where most of the flat parties are but things might have changed, most posts about accommodation on this site are years old me too, I love how I left this decision until the day I need to book I think you have to go on my profile, don't worry I have no idea how this site works either haha

ReputationRep:
    I know you said don't ask, but why would sharing a bathroom/toilet with 10 people provide you with a better uni experience? It'd be nothing but an inconvenience.

Filbert Village is by far the best value for money imo. Only downside is that it's about 10 minute walk from the uni, but you'll soon get used to it. Also, flat parties can get shut off pretty quickly here as its the hub for Unite security in Leicester.

Bede isn't good nor bad but it's very cheap and a little closer to campus than Filbert. If I remember rightly, there isn't a living room in the flats but the kitchen is huge and of course, the shared bathroom/toilet.

Newarke is expensive as hell but its on campus and from my experience, the most sociable halls. I mean, you'd literally be paying over £1k extra compared to Filbert just to be on campus as the flats are pretty much identical .

ReputationRep:
    Also, don't think that just because one hall is considered more sociable than another that it'd result in you not enjoying yourself.

In my experience, I booked Filbert Village in July last year, joined a Facebook group for the accommodation and started speaking with a flatmate prior to moving in. I moved in on the first day of freshers, met my flat mates and had general small-talk about where I'm from/what course I'm studying and what we were gonna be doing later that night. One of my flatmates had a friend living in another flat 2 floors down so he introduced us to him and from there I got to meet more people. We also introduced ourselves to the other two flats on our floor.

Got to about 6pm and we took a trip to Morrisons to buy alcohol for pre drinks. Got back from Morrisons, showered and then began drinking. Drinking games are most fun when you're getting to know new people. We left the flat door open so people could walk in if they wanted, and a few people did.

Throughout freshers there was about 12 of us that always drank and went out together. After about a month, that number went down to 7 and this remained my main friendship group throughout the year. Along the way you'll obviously make friends with people from nights out/ societies /on your course. And you'll also probably visit different accommodations for parties anyways.

During freshers and the start of your course, put yourself out there as much as possible, as everybody is in the same boat and trying to meet new people. If you bump into someone on a night out and engage in small-talk, don't be afraid to ask for their number. I was waking up to 15 texts from people I met on nights out at one point, they didn't all become close friends but if I see them around campus I say hello. I found that talking to new people after freshers was 100x harder as everyone had settled down into their friendship groups.

Honestly, make the most of it and take it all in, it's a great experience and by the end of your 1st year (it'll be over before you know it) you'll be looking back on all the memories and how much you've progressed as a person. But yeah, I'd definitely recommend student halls over private as its where the majority of 1st year students will be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMUSTUDENT)
    I'd definitely recommend student halls over private as its where the majority of 1st year students will be.
    Thanks for the replies. One question, when you say private accommodation do you mean all the ones that aren't managed by DMU itself? From what I've seen the privately managed ones seem better.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshPanes)
    Thanks for the replies. One question, when you say private accommodation do you mean all the ones that aren't managed by DMU itself? From what I've seen the privately managed ones seem better.
    Hi Josh, Yes - that's correct. Private halls are not owned or operated by the university..

ReputationRep:
    I'm staying in Mansion Court. I'm doing Law (LLB) and from what friends at other universities have said when you go private, it is often far cheaper, better quality and better maintained. You still live in "halls" except you don't have to live in a vulgar room with blue carpets and pink wallpaper!

ReputationRep:
    Double Roomtudio£115pw (en suite) All inclusive
    Available:
    1st of July

A studio flat for rent at the Summit Leicester atthe first floor of the annex .
    The Summit
    Eastern Boulevard
    Leicester
    LE2 7JD

Within a 10minute walk from the city centre
    2 minutes walk to campus
    Inclusive of all utility bills
    Broadband in all apartments
    32" flat screen TV
    24 hour CCTV surveillance
    On site management
    No damage deposit needed
    •2-seater sofa / 2 tub chairs
    •Coffee table
    •Wooden Flooring

Disabled Access
    •Intercom Phone System
    •Modern fully fitted kitchen
    - Electric four plate hob
    - Electric built in oven
    - Fridge / freezer
    - Microwave
    - Extractor hood / fan
    - Fire extinguisher and blanket
    Each apartment has been designed to maximise the space available to you. Whethera studio, studio double or 1 bed apartment, every aspect of your living spacehas been carefully considered.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.