Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

We need help with our gas and electric bill, please please please. £1000 !! watch

    • Thread Starter

    From 1 Oct - 9 Jan we paid £451. Apparent bill based on readings. We have paid this.

    From 9 Jan - 10 Mar we were supposed to pay £764 but we were 'in credit' (I don't know why) of £109 so minus that = £672. Apparent bill based on estimation.

    Apparently this was way too high (on the grand scheme it looks completely low for a winter bil so I have no idea why 'we', well not me, complained).

    We asked for a bill on the actual readings and they gave us a bill of £774 but this time added £150 of 'debit' so now it is including VAT £923. This is for six people and we are a bit shocked that it will cost £150 each, I was expecting around £100 - £120 so the previous estimated bill would've been fine.

    The reason why we are confused is that a) they added debit and b) they added charges from our previous bill which we have already paid. So we paid from 1 Oct - 9 Jan but on the last bill sent out they added £300 from that period. We have already paid for this period. Is this normal? Why are we in debit?

    We had a man to come and do the reading but he left before we got the chance to ask him a question. We have called Scottish Power several times but they seem pretty useless. Hence taking to the Internet to find out.

    We were pretty strict with the heating over the winter and were not there for 4 weeks for our Christmas break as well. Not sure why it has amounted to £923. There is 6 of us by the way. Any help is appreciated.

    Also not sure why we think someone in here might know but worth a shot. Please help!

    Dd you take a reading when you moved in? Have you read the meter now? check your bill to see what tariif you are on, go to their website here http://www.scottishpower.co.uk/gas-a...FYrJtAodvgQAjA and work out what you should be paying. Then deduct what you have already paid and pay the amount due. Then send them a letter setting out your calculations, with proof of what you have paid and ask them to confirm that is correct.

    It sound a bit messy. The energy companies do make mistakes so take all of the meter readings yourself from now on.
    The best people to talk to are Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) or the Welfare Officer at your student union. They will help you to understand the bill and challenge it if it is wrong.

    Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.