Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

Just had my Edexcel Religion and Life GCSE paper. 5 minutes before the exam I threw up in front of half my year group... so loads of eyewitnesses... and my exams officer knows, but will my exams officer bother applying for special consideration and if so is it likely I will get it?

ReputationRep:
    Unlikely unless there was 'photographic' proof

ReputationRep:
    And you will have to have a doctor prove that it wasn't self induced

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nomes24)
    Hi guys

Just had my Edexcel Religion and Life GCSE paper. 5 minutes before the exam I threw up in front of half my year group... so loads of eyewitnesses... and my exams officer knows, but will my exams officer bother applying for special consideration and if so is it likely I will get it?
    Did it affect your performance in the exam?

ReputationRep:
    So...

1. You were so nervous that you hadn't revised enough for the exam that you physically reacted by vomiting.

2. Then you do your exam and you realised you failed due to lack of revision.

3. Then you want to use the vomiting out of nerves to somehow allow your inevitable poor grades to be what? improved? or retake it?

...C'mon be serious.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're meant to apply for special consideration at the point you threw up :/ when you say your exam officer knows, is this because you talked to them about special consideration or because they saw? ^-^ Hope you're feeling better now though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Did it affect your performance in the exam?
    I'm not sure, I thought it went okay I was just quite flustered and close to tears because of the sheer embarrassment of throwing up and the shock... Hopefully I will have done fine but I'm curious as to how the school handles this, do they have to report I threw up or they just ignore it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAmanze)
    So...

1. You were so nervous that you hadn't revised enough for the exam that you physically reacted by vomiting.

2. Then you do your exam and you realised you failed due to lack of revision.

3. Then you want to use the vomiting out of nerves to somehow allow your inevitable poor grades to be what? improved? or retake it?

...C'mon be serious.
    Very clever, looking down on and making assumptions about someone you don't know from Adam... get a life. For your information, I had revised enough, vomiting can be caused from a number of things and I seem to have the luck of vomiting as a result of a combination of stress, anxiety, car-sickness and indigestion but hey, you must be right, you're an expert on anxiety induced illnesses I assume?

As stated above I'm hoping my exam performance wasn't affected very much but in the event that it is I want to know whether my vomiting counts for anything or if I'm just unlucky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *SweaterWeather*)
    I think you're meant to apply for special consideration at the point you threw up :/ when you say your exam officer knows, is this because you talked to them about special consideration or because they saw? ^-^ Hope you're feeling better now though
    They saw and they asked if I was feeling better, seemed quite concerned... I do feel better now although still a faint trace of nausea but I'm trying to power on through revision. Would rather know why I throw up when I'm anxious/ stressed as this has happened to me before and it's hardly healthy so I'd like to stop it... anyways thanks for your reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lazy Cynic)
    And you will have to have a doctor prove that it wasn't self induced
    Probably not going to bother then, thanks, I think my vomiting is a symptom of anxiety or something so not a typical illness, just hope for the best and get on with the rest of my exams!

ReputationRep:
    Hi I can't help you with whether you'd get any special consideration or not - best to ask your exam officer that. But I used to throw up from anxiety too!
    First of all, and it might be difficult, but I find it helps to take deep breaths once you start getting panicky before an exam and put everything into context: in the end the exam might not matter as much as you think.. try to think as positively as you can, even if you feel physically on the edge of vomiting. (and if you feel embarrassed about chucking up from nerves just remember that everyone's nervous! they all deal with in different ways!)
    One more tip is to nibble on a ginger biscuit if you feel like you're going to be super nervous.. I think it has anti-nausea properties or something like that!
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Did you also go by the name Pizza?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lazy Cynic)
    Did you also go by the name Pizza?
    hahah yes i did until i managed to forget my details :/ and then decided i hated the name so may as well create a new account... (Still love pizza though, no haters pls )

ReputationRep:
    They saw and they asked if I was feeling better, seemed quite concerned... I do feel better now although still a faint trace of nausea but I'm trying to power on through revision. Would rather know why I throw up when I'm anxious/ stressed as this has happened to me before and it's hardly healthy so I'd like to stop it... anyways thanks for your reply
    Hmm it might be a good idea to speak to your GP or something so that they can give you any medication available or recommend some? I know that some of my friends have to take some pills a few hours before the exams, as it helps to calm them down, maybe something like this could keep your stress levels down and therefore prevent the sickness? However, this may be totally useless advice - sorry i'm not an expert on this at all ^-^

ReputationRep:
    A girl did the exact same thing in an exam at my college this afternoon, and they're putting in for special considerations for everyone in the exam hall because they had to be moved around etc. so your school might to!

Probably depends how bad it was really, this girl actually projectile vomited

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mooselet)
    Hi I can't help you with whether you'd get any special consideration or not - best to ask your exam officer that. But I used to throw up from anxiety too!
    First of all, and it might be difficult, but I find it helps to take deep breaths once you start getting panicky before an exam and put everything into context: in the end the exam might not matter as much as you think.. try to think as positively as you can, even if you feel physically on the edge of vomiting. (and if you feel embarrassed about chucking up from nerves just remember that everyone's nervous! they all deal with in different ways!)
    One more tip is to nibble on a ginger biscuit if you feel like you're going to be super nervous.. I think it has anti-nausea properties or something like that!
    Good luck!
    Thank you so much for this reply!! It is really helpful! Nice to know someone understands. Last night/ this morning I was tossing and turning because my stomach was clenching throughout the night and then I woke up at like 6 because I thought I was going to throw up but I did the deep breaths thing and managed to calm myself down. Will try a ginger biscuit! I have been having loads of polos/ tic tacs before the exam and that sort of helps...

I do agree though I think it's probably something psychological I'm going to have to get over I really don't want to throw up but it seems very involuntary.. thanks again for your help!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm it might be a good idea to speak to your GP or something so that they can give you any medication available or recommend some? I know that some of my friends have to take some pills a few hours before the exams, as it helps to calm them down, maybe something like this could keep your stress levels down and therefore prevent the sickness? However, this may be totally useless advice - sorry i'm not an expert on this at all ^-^
    No thank you for the advice! Am probably going to go to the GP to see what they say and hopefully they could give me some kind of anti-sickness pill.. we'll see. Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fieldy_xo)
    A girl did the exact same thing in an exam at my college this afternoon, and they're putting in for special considerations for everyone in the exam hall because they had to be moved around etc. so your school might to!

Probably depends how bad it was really, this girl actually projectile vomited
    Yeah I was just about to walk into the exam room when I threw up, was quite bad, in front of my whole year as well :O kind of mortifying but I don't know, I'm getting over it and hopefully everything will be fine! Thanks for the reply

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for this reply!! It is really helpful! Nice to know someone understands. Last night/ this morning I was tossing and turning because my stomach was clenching throughout the night and then I woke up at like 6 because I thought I was going to throw up but I did the deep breaths thing and managed to calm myself down. Will try a ginger biscuit! I have been having loads of polos/ tic tacs before the exam and that sort of helps...

I do agree though I think it's probably something psychological I'm going to have to get over I really don't want to throw up but it seems very involuntary.. thanks again for your help!
    Hey again, hope your exams are going well! Glad it seems like you have things under control now :-)
    It's really rubbish how exams are so nerve-wrecking especially when some people seem to breeze through them so easily!! I personally think there should be a nicer way to test us at school but for now, all you can do is imagine the nerves are just another form of excitement and I'm sure you'll get (or you've gotten) used to them.
    Anyway, I actually had counselling for my anxiety & the throwing up bcus of it, my nerves got really out of hand and it had started disrupting my everyday life. But, I managed to end it! Within like 2 months of on-and-off counselling! So, if you think that would be a useful way to help you out then all you have to do is go to your GP and ask them about it.
    Best of luck :-)

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.