Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Anxious being around only 1 person Watch

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone had this?

Like I feel at ease when there's a group of people as there's less pressure thinking of things to say constantly

Being with only one person makes me so anxious though, to the point I have some small chat, laugh a bit and walk away again.

Even in work I'm sitting myself because I can't face being in the staff room with one colleague myself.

If you have, what did you do to overcome it?

I appreciate any feedback!

ReputationRep:
    This happens to me too - I feel like when I'm only with one other person, all the attention is being diverted onto me so I have to actively make an attempt to engage with that person and be funny and all the rest of it... it gets quite exhausting actually I'm also incredibly awkward when it comes to eye contact and knowing where to look when there's only one person there. My brain is either thinking, "Look at them, don't just stare at the wall!" or "Don't look into their soul, it's creepy, stop it."

In terms of how to overcome it, I haven't quite figured that out unfortunately but I guess the key is to reach that point where you don't feel like you have to be constantly engaging with that person 100% of the time so you can feel more at ease and less pressured, but I guess that's easier said than done!

Makes me wonder what it must be like for all those people who don't have to worry about things like this...!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: January 1, 1970
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.