Turn on thread page Beta

Stupid or what? watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.peta.org.uk/blog/hurrah-g...s-in-circuses/

As I understand wild animals are now banned from being used in circuses here in UK but why is horse-racing still allowed? IMO, if anything horses undergo more abuse than animals in circus yet horse-racing is a sport that British people seem to love.

ReputationRep:
    Because it's a tradition for toffs and toffs are powerful. The same reason that we can't seem to keep foxhunting away

ReputationRep:
    It's stupid you would even think of comparing horses to those animals kept in a circus. You need to see the barbarism that goes on there. If you're talking about the whip, if used correctly, it does not harm the animal! It's the noise - it's like slapping your thigh. They are strong, magnificent creatures - you really think a human has enough power in their arm compared to a horse! You have obviously not seen the love and respect between horse and rider.

ReputationRep:
    Horses like to run and jump fences with small people atop them. They especially like being made lame and then shot.

ReputationRep:
    i don't see the issue with horse racing. The horses are doing what they naturally do anyway.

Whilst in a circus, animals are being forced to doing completely unnatural things, that in most cases will harm them.

Apples and oranges.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A5ko)
    Horses like to run and jump fences with small people atop them. They especially like being made lame and then shot.
    Well they've been doing it for so long, that the only ones left are ones that are suited to riding.

This is where liberals often lose me tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Horses as a species have been domesticated by humankind, so they are no longer wild animals. Tigers, for example, aren't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xin Xang)
    Well they've been doing it for so long, that the only ones left are ones that are suited to riding.

This is where liberals often lose me tbh.
    I just don't like to see animals dying left right and centre for entertainment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A5ko)
    I just don't like to see animals dying left right and centre for entertainment.
    But you would rather have them mauled by a Lion ?

In any case, do you have any sources to support that claim?

ReputationRep:
    But you would rather have them mauled by a Lion ?

In any case, do you have any sources to support that claim?
    I think you may have me confused with the circus guy above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeverTooLatte)
    It's stupid you would even think of comparing horses to those animals kept in a circus. You need to see the barbarism that goes on there. If you're talking about the whip, if used correctly, it does not harm the animal! It's the noise - it's like slapping your thigh. They are strong, magnificent creatures - you really think a human has enough power in their arm compared to a horse! You have obviously not seen the love and respect between horse and rider.
    Oh, get lost...

- Horses are often on drugs to keep their pain subsided and masked
    - Horses are made to race from a very young age when their bones are not used to that amount of stress
    - Your point about whips: it actually makes them run beyond their natural abilities and this increases likehood of accidents
    - Their mouthpieces make the tissues in their mouths bleed
    - Horse racing is not about love but about money as half of former horses are abandoned or slaughtered

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A5ko)
    I think you may have me confused with the circus guy above.
    What do you think would happen if the horses weren't domesticated.

You think everything would be rosy?

Horses would be tucked in at night by lions after reading them a bedtime story?

Your argument that you don't like to see animals dying left and right and centre for entertainment is ridiculous, since MANY more horses would have died in nature in a far more gruesome way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tian1Sky)
    Horses as a species have been domesticated by humankind, so they are no longer wild animals. Tigers, for example, aren't.
    i don't see the issue with horse racing. The horses are doing what they naturally do anyway.

Whilst in a circus, animals are being forced to doing completely unnatural things, that in most cases will harm them.

Apples and oranges.

I'm talking about horse racing so your points aren't valid, see my post above

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    Because it's a tradition for toffs and toffs are powerful. The same reason that we can't seem to keep foxhunting away
    I can't believe Cameron is for fox-hunting. It's horrible and such activities shouldn't be called ''sports''.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuckMeBeautiful)
    Oh, get lost...

- Horses are often on drugs to keep their pain subsided and masked
    - Horses are made to race from a very young age when their bones are not used to that amount of stress
    - Your point about whips: it actually makes them run beyond their natural abilities and this increases likehood of accidents
    - Their mouthpieces make the tissues in their mouths bleed
    - Horse racing is not about love but about money as half of former horses are abandoned or slaughtered
    I had to look at your others posts after mine to see you were talking about horse racing, when you clearly stated horse riding first. So how about you make that evident in your original post, duh! Get lost? Don't ask opinions if you can't take them. If you wanted everybody to say "I agree with you" then you should've just asked! Yes, the bit does make them bleed if you pull too hard or awkwardly. Experience riders will know the correct pressure to apply when dealing with them, in all areas of potential pain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuckMeBeautiful)
    I'm talking about horse racing so your points aren't valid, see my post above
    I really don't have a dog in this fight, as I've never watched horse racing before.

But I simply don't understand what you suggest the alternative should be.

Do we keep them in zoos?

(oh but of course we shouldn't imprison animals for human entertainment, how cruel!!!)

Do we let them loose into the wild?

(where they will all inevitably die due to their developed habits)

Unless you have an alternative, there is really no point bringing this up.

ReputationRep:
    What do you think would happen if the horses weren't domesticated.

You think everything would be rosy?

Horses would be tucked in at night by lions after reading them a bedtime story?

Your argument that you don't like to see animals dying left and right and centre for entertainment is ridiculous, since MANY more horses would have died in nature in a far more gruesome way.
    What are you smoking?

Did you not read where I put killed for entertainment. Lions killing horses in the wild isn't entertainment, that's life. Unless ITV has a new animal show where animals kill other animals for money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A5ko)
    What are you smoking?

Did you not read where I put killed for entertainment. Lions killing horses in the wild isn't entertainment, that's life. Unless ITV has a new animal show where animals kill other animals for money.
    So you think we should put them in the wild ?

ReputationRep:
    I really don't have a dog in this fight, as I've never watched horse racing before.

But I simply don't understand what you suggest the alternative should be.

Do we keep them in zoos?

(oh but of course we shouldn't imprison animals for human entertainment, how cruel!!!)

Do we let them loose into the wild?

(where they will all inevitably die due to their developed habits)

Unless you have an alternative, there is really no point bringing this up.
    Those animals that are in circuses if let free into the wild will be killed by someone eventually too but you don't have a problem with that? In some countries elephant hunting is legalised whilst in others poachers still manage to get them to the point where it is predicted they will be extinct in the next 50 years so yeah...

ReputationRep:
    So you think we should put them in the wild ?
    Put what in the wild? Domesticated horses?

No, I think we should be looking after them seeing as we are responsible.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.