Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Im just finishing up my first year of electronics and i have hated pretty much all of it. The only reason i did it is because i had no idea what i wanted to do and i still dont (partly pressure from my parents too).
    I now feel i have wasted a whole year of my life and the only thing it has made me realise is that i am not going to get a job in electronics if i finish the 3 years.
    I have zero work experience which means i wont rly be able to get a job with the economy and all and as for ucas points i only have just over 200.

What do i do!?
    do i quit or not, i am so confused!

ReputationRep:
    No, you dont quit. A degree is a degree at the end of the day, and you will just feel worse if you quit. Remember alot of jobs require a degree but not in any specific field.

Me personally, I had the same feelings when I was at college studying hospitality for 2 years, the second year I quit for 6 months - It wasnt what I wanted to do, I just wanted to work. But eventually I went back and completed the last 6 months to get the qualification.

The reason I tell you this is that 3 years later, after working for all this time, I have decided to go to university at 21. This would not have been possible if I had just left my earlier course and not thought about my future - I am one of the lucky ones.

What im saying is that a degree is a degree, irrelevant of what it is in, and will open up 1000's of doors for you that would be closed had you quit.

I - like you, dont know what I want to do in life, but I chose to study Business at Uni as it is quite a broad subject and has alot of transferable skills. Consider changing your course and applying for something with a broader horizon of opportunities at the end. That way, you are supporting the fact that you dont know what you want to do, by having a qualification that is very likely to support whatever it is you decide to do.

Best of Luck!

ReputationRep:
    If you leave at the end of your first year, you will have enough Student Finance entitlement to start another degree from scratch if you want to in future. Everyone gets a "grace" year of funding for precisely your kind of situation. It means another year's worth of debt, which is no small matter, but might be worth considering if you really can't make sense of your current course.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I hate my degree too, and I've chose to leave after 1st year. I mean, I will be sad to leave all the friends I have made, but I've got to put what I want before others. I am not going to spend the remainder of, what will be my only chance to go to uni be miserable for the next 2 years. Why be miserable there, when I can be happier somewhere else?

It's a hard decision since Arts/Humanities get only 4 yrs of funding. And I really was keen on doing a PGCE afterwards. But I will put my teaching dream on hold, so i can carry on my current dream which is to develop my enthusiasm for my subject. That's what's important to me. I can't do it at my current university, but I will damn make sure I will at my next one.

I think you have to consider; is it something more than a degree to you? I personally believe 2nd and 3rd year are harder than 1st and would it be worth it getting at 3rd or 2:2 at your current degree, knowing you could have loved it somewhere else and got a 2:1 or even a 1st at your other uni?

Personally, I think you should take a step back, and weigh up your possibilities. We have less to worry and stress about at our age (assuming you are 18-20), so I think you should take this opportunity to discover what you want to learn about and go from there. Perhaps, the learning bit isn't what you enjoyed?

What is it that you don't like about your degree may I ask?

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.