Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. I'm starting grade 12 this June, in India, and I'll be starting university in September next year. I want to major in Accounting and Finance. I'm confused about which universities to choose. I don't have a lot of extracurriculars in school, because well frankly I never had time as my school is two hours away from home, so will that be a problem in getting into any of these universities? I also just did my TOEFL-iBT test 2 days ago, waiting for my scores now!

So far i've narrowed it down to these:
    Lancaster University
    University of Edinburgh
    University of Bath
    University of Surrey
    Herriot-Watt University
    University of Warwick
    University of Glasgow
    University of Bristol
    Newcastle University
    University of Exeter

Can anyone help me out and give me more information on these universities? I'm looking for a university which has a high international population, lots of clubs and activities, affordable, scholarships (maybe?), good inexpensive accommodation and overall which one has a better student life. And do any of these universities have study abroad semesters? I would like to explore and experience new cultures.

And another thing is i can afford college but being the 2nd out of 3 kids, I really want to work part-time and help out in paying for college. So what is the average hourly wage a student gets? And can i work in a restaurant? I really want to own a restaurant someday.

Thank you so much!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sanya98)
    Hey guys. I'm starting grade 12 this June, in India, and I'll be starting university in September next year. I want to major in Accounting and Finance. I'm confused about which universities to choose. I don't have a lot of extracurriculars in school, because well frankly I never had time as my school is two hours away from home, so will that be a problem in getting into any of these universities? I also just did my TOEFL-iBT test 2 days ago, waiting for my scores now!

So far i've narrowed it down to these:
    Lancaster University
    University of Edinburgh
    University of Bath
    University of Surrey
    Herriot-Watt University
    University of Warwick
    University of Glasgow
    University of Bristol
    Newcastle University
    University of Exeter

Can anyone help me out and give me more information on these universities? I'm looking for a university which has a high international population, lots of clubs and activities, affordable, scholarships (maybe?), good inexpensive accommodation and overall which one has a better student life. And do any of these universities have study abroad semesters? I would like to explore and experience new cultures.

And another thing is i can afford college but being the 2nd out of 3 kids, I really want to work part-time and help out in paying for college. So what is the average hourly wage a student gets? And can i work in a restaurant? I really want to own a restaurant someday.

Thank you so much!
    Hi Sanya98,

You have lots of questions which is great as I am pretty sure many more students will be in the same boat. I will try to answer some of your questions from a Heriot-Watt perspective and hopefully you will get people from the other institutions jumping in too!

Heriot-Watt was founded in 1821 as a higher education institution and we have been a university since 1966 so we have a long tradition and history but with modern values also. We are based in a parkland campus on the outskirts of Edinburgh City Centre. Our student population is diverse, 1/3 of our student body are international students coming from well over 120 different countries so if you want to meet people from all over the world you can definitely do that here at HW.

We also have a campus in Dubai and Malaysia and for Accountancy and Finance you can certainly spend some time at our Dubai Campus (great for broadening your horizons).

Can I ask where you are from? Obviously if you are a long way from the UK it might be difficult to visit but if you can it is well worth visiting the campus to see our sports facilities/student union/accommodation etc.

Hopefully I have answered at least some of you questions and sorry for the long post!!

If you have any further questions please just ask (I will watch this thread in case you have more questions for Heriot-Watt)

Cheers,
    Keir :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your post! I live in Bangalore, India, so as of now visiting is not possible!
    I want to know more about the accounting and finance course, the different clubs/activities you have going on at campus and whether I will be able to work part-time? and in what kind of places?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your post! I live in Bangalore, India, so as of now visiting is not possible!
    I want to know more about the accounting and finance course, the different clubs/activities you have going on at campus and whether I will be able to work part-time? and in what kind of places?
    Hi,

Hopefully I can answer some of your questions relating to Newcastle I'm a recent graduate and have lived here for a few years.

You can find out some info about our Accounting and Finance course here: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/d...ourseoverview/
    Alternatively we also offer an Accounting and Finance degree at our new London campus: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/london/accounting-finance-bsc.htm

We have over 200 clubs & societies, so there are loads of things to get involved in! You can see a list of current societies here http://www.nusu.co.uk/activities/soc.../a-z/fullatoz/ and sports clubs here http://www.nusu.co.uk/activities/sports/a-z/

We have lots of International students, and there's a page on our website specifically for applicants from India here: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/international/c...ndia/index.htm That page includes some scholarship information

You can also can see our latest International Student Handbook here http://www.ncl.ac.uk/flippingbook/in...dent-handbook/ and we have a series of blogs from current students - like this one from Yashodhara, who comes from Goa http://www.oncourse2ncl.co.uk/chose-...le-university/

Newcastle is a great city to be a student in, rent prices and the general cost of living are low compared to other parts of the country I worked part-time throughout my degree and the University's Careers Service are really helpful and supportive - here's a page with some information and resources http://www.ncl.ac.uk/careers/jobs/finding/parttime/ Lots of students work in cafes, bars and restaurants in the city so I think you'd have a good chance of finding a job there

I think that's covered your questions? If there's anything in particular that you want to know about Newcastle please let me know!

All the best,
    Persephone

ReputationRep:
    Hello again Sanya98

We have an India office who make visits all over the country and I've just found out that they are going to be in Bangalore next week! :thumbsup: Anita is visiting on Tuesday 19 and Wednesday 20 May - hopefully you will be available to meet with her and she can tell you more about Heriot-Watt, the Accounting and Finance programme and life in Edinburgh. Just contact Anita to fix a time/venue for meeting - she can be reached at [email protected] or on +91 9582919155.

Also, as you won't be able to visit our Edinburgh Campus in person, we have some virtual tours on our website, where you can have a look about online. We also have a webpage with specific information for Indian applicants.

Hope this helps and you're able to meet Anita!

Cheers,
    Keir

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.