Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

So, I'm 17 and I have anxiety and depression and am on pills for it even though I'm considered quite young because of it's severity. It took me a while to get diagnosed because I used to walk to school and practically have a panic attack everyday but not realise what it was. Anyway, so today I had a major (what I thought was) panic attack in school. My teacher (also head of year) is also my psychology teacher, and she was there. I was quite awkward whilst having the panic attack as I was gasping for breath, crying and trying to say "i'm having a panic attack, sorry". My teachers told me, and has now told my parents that I didnt have a panic attack as I could talk. It wasnt exactly easy to talk btw, I just forced it out.
    I'm kinda infuriated by this as I have suffered with PA for years, have meds for it, and she's acting like I dont know what it is... and now I'm not getting much support from my parents as they think I was just crying.
    My usual PA symptoms are hyperventilating, crying (sometimes), sweating slightly more and sometimes shaking, it's mainly struggling to breathe that I remember.
    So is this a PA? Because I dont see how it cant, but if im wrong feel free to correct me.
    (Please be nice in the replies, esp atm - I'm still not fully recovered from it as im writing this)

ReputationRep:
    That sounds exactly like a panic attack don't listen to them the only person who can know how you're feeling is you. If you have diagnosed anxiety I would trust your doctor more than a teacher! I hope you're okay now... I'd feel awful if I was told my problems weren't real. Xx

(Original post by Musical-medicine)
    That sounds exactly like a panic attack don't listen to them the only person who can know how you're feeling is you. If you have diagnosed anxiety I would trust your doctor more than a teacher! I hope you're okay now... I'd feel awful if I was told my problems weren't real. Xx
    thanks for the quick reply and yeah, it's just mega-annoying since she's a psychology teacher so her opinion is more credible than mine. I'm a bit better now, again thank you.

Honestly, my sister has panic attacks and depression and believe me that is a panic attack. Bless you, I so wish I could come and give you a big hug because I have seen how awful it is. I know it seems silly me saying this because I don't suffer with them but I have seen and been a part of how upsetting and damaging it can make a person feel.

What I would say to you is, focus on the people who understand you and truly care for you, and I know it is easy for me to say but just try and put the people who don't understand to the back of your mind. You are not stupid and you are just as worthy of a happy, stress-free life as anyone else is.

It will get better and you will find help and believe me try CBT it is incredible! It doesn't work for everyone but I would say give it a go. Going privately with a CBT counsellor can be ridiculously expensive but there are great self-help books out there and there is plenty of info out on the web. Also, feel free to come back here and let me know how you're doing because I care.

Best wishes and best of luck.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 13, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you rather

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.