Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

IGCSE EDEXCEL BIOLOGY PAPER 1 12TTH MAY...are you ready?! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Electrify)
    What about the question with pollution of water by phosphate? It was something like why this conclusion may not be accurate with two answers. Also the question about why it's more common to cut tube B instead of oviduct.
    Might be because its a less invasive operation , to cut oviducts, you are very close to kidneys and other important parts, B is essentially outside the core of the body

ReputationRep:
    What about the question with pollution of water by phosphate? It was something like why this conclusion may not be accurate with two answers. Also the question about why it's more common to cut tube B instead of oviduct.
    For the phosphate question I said pollution could have been caused by factors other than phosphates and that the test only had been carried out once that month so it could be an anomaly.

For the oviduct and sperm duct question I said about it being less risky and easier in men and that women go through menopause so they stop producing eggs so the operation is unnecessary for women above a certain age.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Heart attacks are caused when the capillaries that supply the cardiac muscles get blocked, not when the heart is pumping against a block

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Astrtricks)
    For the phosphate question I said pollution could have been caused by factors other than phosphates and that the test only had been carried out once that month so it could be an anomaly.

For the oviduct and sperm duct question I said about it being less risky and easier in men and that women go through menopause so they stop producing eggs so the operation is unnecessary for women above a certain age.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I hope you are right because I said similar things, but not exact. I said the pollution can be caused by another mineral ion and a human error might have been made. I hope they accept a general term like that.

And I said it's easier in men but I didn't offer an explanation cause I was running out of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mh99)
    I wrote 41.6
    5/12 *100
    Is it correct?
    Damn, I wrote 12/5*100= 240% increase.

When I went to multiply 5 by the factor 2.4 it came out as 12.

Seems I've misunderstood the question :|.

As for the phosphate/Secchi disk, I wrote that the depths of the lake could've varied changing the volume of water. And that external factors such as wildlife could've affected the test as well (algae and such). Think they'd accept that?

ReputationRep:
    for the increase in phosphates affecting number of fish i started to talk about eutrophication and a few general point but idk if its right...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mujahidul Islam)
    i think u have misunderstood.it was not about fermentar.

the previous subdivision said that the growth harmone was a protein.

Proteins are amino acids joined together. DNA codes for amino acids therefor i think we have to use genetic engineering by using plasmid.
    Yea i described genetic engineering and then place the bacteria an a fermenter so that it grows and produces the hormone

ReputationRep:
    Ha so did i but wrote glycogen in the box above grrrr!!

ReputationRep:
    Can someone post the topics which will most likely be on the second paper?

ReputationRep:
    Can someone post the topics which will most likely be on the second paper?
    I'm thinking cholesterol, (that might be the case study) , and i also think nerves and reflexes as well as hormones will come up, and the production of yoghurt! but i might be wrong..its just a thought

ReputationRep:
    I am pretty sure that genes will come up. And i really hope that anything to do with kidney does not came up as i can not get my head around how they work.I have done a few mocks and so far i am truly sick of dolly the sheep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mirahan)
    I'm thinking cholesterol, (that might be the case study) , and i also think nerves and reflexes as well as hormones will come up, and the production of yoghurt! but i might be wrong..its just a thought
    cholesterol?? what topic was that part of?

ReputationRep:
    How was the paper? I found it quite easy, only I got stuck on the question asking 'why is this operation more common in males than females' the sperm duct one. And how to find the dry mass! I just wrote put them in an oven or leave them in the sun to dry then weigh them. What questions did you guys find hard? Also in the rat diagram question which system was missing? I wrote skeletal system because there were no bones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dham224)
    How was the paper? I found it quite easy, only I got stuck on the question asking 'why is this operation more common in males than females' the sperm duct one. And how to find the dry mass! I just wrote put them in an oven or leave them in the sun to dry then weigh them. What questions did you guys find hard? Also in the rat diagram question which system was missing? I wrote skeletal system because there were no bones
    That's paper 1 question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mh99)
    That's paper 1 question
    yeah i know this is a paper 1 threadddd xD

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.